6 , just getting started

I had been told I was going to wait with Fury on standby, while Natasha and Steve jumped right back into the action, none of them wanting me to get hurt 'before I could give them any worthwhile information' in Fury's exact words. So I bid them goodbye, hoping that I hadn't messed with the timeline enough to ruin the plan. If things went off smoothly, Steve wouldn't need to fight Bucky at all, and Natasha would be able to infiltrate SHIELD without any problems.

"He's speaking to the whole building right now." Fury informed me, obviously communicating with Maria through his earpiece the whole time. Not a second later did he hand me one of my own, and I wore it quickly.

'...of you were even ordered to hunt me down.' Steve's slightly unclear voice came through the little device. 'But I think its time you all know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It has been taken over by HYRDA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYRDA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could even be standing right next to you. And HYRDA almost has what it wants. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury... and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYRDA will be able to kill anyone who stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot of you—but the price of freedom is high. It always has been... and it's a price I'm willing to pay. If I'm them only one, so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not.'

In that moment, I had to admit—I understood exactly why Steve Rogers had been chosen as Captain America. He had a way with words that just made you wish to comply, and that scared me a bit. I had to remember to make a conscious effort to not just agree with everything he said in the future—I had to remember I knew more than him when it came to what was going to happen.

"I'm not going to launch that ship. Captains orders." A shaking voice said through the earpiece, and I immediately heard what felt like a dozen guns click.

"You picked the wrong side, agent."

"Depends on where you're standing." Sharon. I hated that woman... a lot. But for now, she was on our side—and I wasn't going to start complaining. I was pulled back to reality as a sudden flurry of gunshots rang out over the piece, but Fury just shook his head when I looked to him. We weren't meant to make a move yet.

I squeezed my eyes closed as I heard another uproar of commotion as the helicarriers were launched, I guessed. "Alright, now we move." Were Fury's only words as the helicopter we had been sitting in almost immediately took off. I had pleaded that we move in faster and get the situation under control before everything that took place in the movie had to go down, but once I had told Fury how it all played out, after some long consideration, he decided against it.

"It works out in the end, right? So we leave it that way. No need to fix something that isn't broken." He had said simply, and I couldn't argue with the logic.

I couldn't help smile at hearing the iconic, "I'm sorry, did I step on your moment?" in real time. Fury caught me grinning like an oaf and asked what was so funny, but I just shook my head. I could soon hear Pierce trying to threaten Natasha with her past in order to keep HYRDA's secrets safe, but I wasn't worried about that conversation as I already knew how it played out. I was just trying to keep an eye out for anything that seemed different from the movies—that was what I had to worry for.

"Two down, one to go." Maria's voice came over the intercom, sending a wave of relief through my body. We were so close. And... nothing. No sudden screams. No Bucky. I smiled, knowing that if Steve just managed to get the last helicarrier under our control, I would have had actually managed to save lives. The helicopter landed on the SHIELD building's landing pad just as Natasha turned to look out of the huge glass windows—Fury stepping out and starting to walk towards the entrance of the building in a way that simply commanded attention. I tried to look even half as intimidating as I followed behind, but it didn't help that I was almost a foot shorter than him.