49 , new years day

Walking into the ballroom with the avengers was a moment I knew I wouldn't ever be able to forget, even if I tried. The whole place was stunning, and I couldn't take my eyes off the Asgardian men and women dancing around the place more gracefully than I could ever imagine myself being able to do. Thor, Loki, Odin and Frigga were at one end of the room, sitting on some sort of golden thrones, since they had to apparently stay there until the ball actually kicked off, only allowed to mingle with the rest of the crowds after that. I stuck around with Natasha, who had seemed to be abandoned by Bruce since he wasn't willing to dance, and almost all the other avengers had joined into the festivities as best as they could, trying to follow the dance the Asgardians were doing from whatever they had watched. We both watched Pepper and Tony dance around the room almost as if they had been doing it their whole life, and I couldn't help smile stupidly at seeing the two of them look so happy with each other—they genuinely were perfect together.

It was at least thirty minutes or so later of mindless chatter with Natasha before the brothers were freed from their spot in the middle of everything and allowed to join the rest of us. Thor immediately went off to find Jane Foster in the crowds, who I had been told was also on Asgard that day and had been invited for the ball by the god of lightning himself—but Loki vanished into the sea of people before I could see where he was going, not that I would ever admit to anyone that I had been trying to keep an eye on him other than my own mind. They didn't need to know the slight flash of disappointment that hit me when I realised he wasn't going to come over, even though I knew it had been a stupid thought in the first place. This was his home, after all. He had his people around him now, and the only reason he hung out with me on earth was because he didn't have anyone better to talk with most of the time, I guessed.

Instead of letting my thoughts linger on the man the whole night and stop myself from having fun, I let Natasha drag me onto the dancefloor with her after a few drinks and we started spinning each other around stupidly—not having any clue of what we were meant to do, but enjoying ourselves nonetheless. We danced near Vision and Wanda, and shared a knowing look as they glided around together, also having managed to perfect the way the Asgardians were dancing within the hour of being around them. Natasha and I stayed together for the next hour or so, and soon I was comfortable fooling around even when there were Asgardian people's eyes on us, knowing that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wasn't going to miss on it, no matter what. As a slower song started playing, the two of us decided to take a break from the floor and walk back over to the bar to grad a drink each, already being parched once again. But sitting down for a minute was enough to make me give up, and I told Natasha to go back without me so I could take a few extra minutes to rest—my stamina being no where near the black widows, even after training under her for so long.

I took a seat near a doorway leading outside, choosing to just watch the crowd dance for another song or two before I rejoined Natasha, but it seemed that the universe had different ideas for the next little while, as a sudden voice from the doorway behind me made me turn around quickly. "We really must stop meeting like this... what, are you bored of the party already?"

I smiled, a sudden wave of relief flooding over me as I saw Loki's unmistakable frame in the doorway—his teasing tone enough for me to decide to play along for the time being. "Oh, yes. This is definitely... very boring and all. I'm having a horrible time." The god laughed as he came to take a seat near me, and I couldn't help wonder what his parents would think if they saw him chatting with a girl from Midgard even when there were so many prettier ladies all around the room who were very much Asgardian. "No, its really been an incredible night, jokes aside for a minute. Thank you for inviting me up here for the ball—truly. It isn't something I will ever forget, I can assure you of that much. But what are you doing here? Why aren't you dancing or something? After all, weren't you the one telling me all about Asgardian dances and how good you were at them? It's very sweet that you've come to speak with me, but you really don't have to spend too much time sitting with me. I'm sure your parents would rather you be talking to others, no?"