51|Exhaustion

Exhaustion.

It was the main thing that the free mutants who were left, they almost always felt as the mutants kept running.

After all, there were only a few of them left out of shelters and internment camps, as the rest were captured or dead.

The Sentinels had only grown more advanced, since they had killed Thunderbird and Pyro in front of the Mutant Underground.

It had been over three years since that day and the world had been all but destroyed. A mutant uprising that the Inner Circle had helped to start, had destroyed any chances of the Sentinels ever going offline, ever again.

Colossus glanced over at the twins and Bullet, who were playing a game of guess the metal. It was barely enough to keep them distracted, but Darren and Kat needed to be distracted at the moment.

Liliana and Taylor were missing, so they were the only ones left of the entire Mutant Underground, other than Bernie.

The rest had died or been captured years before and they didn't know what happened to their family.

Opposite them on the other side of the room, Bernie was messing around with a ball of ice, silently passing it back and forth in his hands. Now, he was thinking about everybody that they had lost so far.

Bernie knew that somewhere around their current hiding spot, his father was pacing as they waited for the inevitable. For the Sentinels to find them and Bernie crushed the ball of ice and let it fall to the floor.

Bernie was flipping the deck of cards, that he had managed to keep a hold of, despite a whole lot of movement surrounding their little group.

Bernie caught sight of the tattoo on his wrist, before he was shaking his head. The entwined hands inked onto his wrist and he closed his eyes briefly.

"I didn't think that you were actually going to get that." Bernie glanced over at Lauren, who watched him with a small smile on her face. "I just wish that Andy was still here to see it."

"Me too." Bernie murmured quietly.

Bernie sighed quietly and then, he opened his eyes again. Bernie looked up and Blink's portal showed up in the middle of the room as they were looking at the portal.

As both Warpath and Blink were jumping through the portal from upstairs. "Time's up." Blink spoke up quickly.

"Sentinels!" Warpath, he had always had a gift for pointing out the obvious. But then again, so had his brother.

Bernie stood up and his eyes flashed quickly, before his hands were already smoking with ice.

The twins were standing up and then they were looking at each other, before they got together with the others.

Sunspot powered up Bishop and Kitty took off with Bishop running with her, while the Sentinels were starting to drill through the stone and Bullet's eyes flashed with rage.

The metal all around them was beginning to screech and then, it was flying around them in a protective circle. "You two!" Darren and Kat looked over at Bernie, who iced up quickly. "Go with Kitty and Bishop, you're the last line." He said and quickly, Blink was opening a portal for them and the twins were jumping through.

"Can they hold the line?" Sunspot asked and Bernie was turning outwards and the sounds of drilling, they only got louder.

"They have got the Fenris Force." Bullet spoke up quickly as the metal was spinning faster. "They could take down an entire building and kill everybody in it, but still walk away unscathed."

The Sentinels landed and with a roar, the mutants were attacking all together, fiercely and Bullet was attaching metal to the Sentinels, as she was flinging them around with a sheer, brutal rage.

They were fighting for all of their lives and at this point, they were just fighting to give Kitty and Bishop enough time.

After the Sentinel mimicked Colossus's powers, Bullet sent it flying into the wall and she was repeatedly denting it. Until one that had just killed Sunspot, stabbed her through the back.

"Bullet!" Bernie shouted and she was collapsing to the floor, but there was no time to grief as he tried to hold off two Sentinels, all on his own.

Meanwhile, the third Sentinel was being frozen by Bobby currently, but that would only last for so long as Kitty and Bishop were getting into the room.

One of the Sentinels mimicked Sunspot's powers and the other one was just trying to get around Bernie's natural icy defenses.

"Come on!" Kat shouted and together, the twins were standing in front of the door and they were unwilling to move.

Darren was running forward to grab Warpath, only for Blink to be killed right in front of them again. Darren was yanking him back and Warpath joined them in front of the door as Kat was throwing her shields, cutting off the Sentinel's limbs and even decapitating one of them, but the other two got them all and they were burning.

Until suddenly, they weren't burning anymore.