Ch 151 - Hagrid's Lecture

After class ended, the Transfiguration class joined the crowd of thundering students towards the Great Hall for Lunch.

Hermione sighed when she looked at Ron's ugly face, “Didn't you hear what Professor McGonagall said?” she asked, while pushing a bowl of stew in Lucifer's direction.

Ron played with his food for a moment, "Harry," he said, looking over at him for the first time in about an hour, "you haven't seen a great black dog anywhere, have you?"

"Yeah, I have," Harry said nonchalantly, "I saw one the night I left the Dursleys."

Ron's silverware clattered on the table.

"It was probably a stray," Lucifer said calmly.

Ron looked at him as though he'd gone absolutely mad, "Lucifer, if Harry's seen a grim, that's- that's bad," he said, looking a bit paler than usual, "My- my Uncle Bilius saw one and - and he died twenty- four hours later!"

"Coincidence," Hermione said airily, pouring herself some pumpkin juice.

"Neither of you know what you're talking about!" Ron said, starting to get angry, "Grims scare the living daylights out of most Wizards!"

"Why? It's just a black dog, surely any witch or wizard would be capable of dealing with it, right?" Lucifer asked, now feeling very casual.

"A valid question, but to answer what you just said, Ronald; there you are, then," Hermione said with a superior tone, "they see the Grim and die of fright. It's not an Omen, it's the cause of death! And Harry's still with us because he's not stupid enough to see one and think, right, well, I'd better pop my clogs then!"

Lucifer began to laugh uncontrollably.

Ron, on the other hand, mouthed wordlessly at Hermione, who opened her bag, took out her new Arithmancy book and propped it open against the juice jug.

"I think Divination seems very woolly," she said, searching for a specific page to continue from, "A lot of guesswork, if you ask me. I mean, where in God's name did she come up with Lucifer's prediction?"

"There was nothing woolly about the Grim in that cup!" Ron said hotly.

"You didn't seem quite so confident when you were telling Harry it was a sheep," she replied coolly.

"Professor Trelawney said you didn't have the right aura! You just don't like being rubbish at something for a change!" Ron half-yelled.

He seemed to have struck a nerve, because Hermione slammed her Arithmancy book down and caused bits of meat and carrots to fly.

"If being good at Divination means I have to pretend to see Death Omens or Dangerous Omens in a lump of tea leaves, and listen to her talking shit about my Lucifer, I'm not sure I'll be studying it much longer! That lesson was absolute rubbish compared to our Arithmancy class," she began to pack up her things and looked over at Lucifer, “Com-”

His arms were resting below the table, and he was slightly hunched over. She looked at his food and noticed it was barely touched.

Hermione tapped him on the shoulder, "Come on."

Lucifer stood up, took another bite out of something, got another drink from a goblet, and grabbed his bag as well, following Hermione out of the Great Hall.

She turned to look at him after they walked out, "Sorry about that."

"No, no it's okay... but... I don't think Trelawney is that far off with her prediction for me..." Lucifer said, looking down at the slightly reflective floor.