Silver Bell Ball

The grand ballroom glittered like the night sky, shimmering chandeliers dangling from the ceiling and casting golden light across the polished floors. The guests, nobles from all over Mewni, were dressed in their finest. Star Butterfly, the princess of Mewni, was no exception. Her gown sparkled silver, the color of the moon, with tiny stars stitched into the fabric.

But what stood out to Marco Diaz, her ever-loyal squire and royal guard, wasn't her dress—it was her smile. That smile always made his heart skip a beat, whether she was in battle armor or royal attire. Tonight, however, it felt different.

Because tonight, that smile wasn't for him.

As her guard, Marco's role was to stay by her side, protect her from any harm. But that didn't prepare him for the pang of jealousy he felt as Star danced with boy after boy, twirling and laughing as if she didn't have a care in the world.

"Everything okay, Diaz?" Star's voice brought him back to reality, and he realized he had been staring. She stood in front of him, her bright blue eyes filled with curiosity and concern.

"Y-yeah, of course!" Marco forced a grin, straightening his red uniform, adorned with Mewni's royal crest. "I'm just keeping an eye out for anything... suspicious." His eyes darted around the ballroom, scanning for potential threats, but his mind kept circling back to the way Star had been spinning in the arms of that one duke.

Star giggled and tilted her head. "You don't have to look so serious, Marco. It's a ball! You're allowed to have fun."

Marco's jaw clenched, and he gave a curt nod. "I'm here to guard you, not to have fun."

"Come on, you can relax a little. It's the Silver Bell Ball! It's supposed to be magical." She extended her hand toward him. "How about one dance with your princess?"

Marco blinked, his heart doing a somersault. "Me? Dance? With you?"

Star rolled her eyes playfully. "You're acting like I've never asked you before."

True, they had danced before—usually in more casual settings or when they were goofing off. But this felt different. The ballroom, the formal attire, the eyes of every noble in Mewni on them. This wasn't a silly dance in her room. This was the real deal.

But before he could respond, a tall figure appeared beside Star. "May I have this dance, Princess Star?"

Marco recognized him immediately. Prince Spiderbite —one of the most eligible bachelors in all of Mewni. Handsome, suave, and worse, charming.

Star looked at the Prince and then back at Marco, biting her lip. "Oh! Um... sure?" she said, hesitating for just a moment before allowing him to take her hand.

And just like that, Star was spinning away again, her laughter echoing through the ballroom as Spiderbite whisked her onto the dance floor. Marco stood rooted to the spot, his hand still outstretched where she had almost taken it.

His stomach twisted in knots as he watched Star, her golden hair flowing behind her as she spun in his arms. Why was this bothering him so much? Star was free to dance with whoever she wanted. But every time another guy pulled her close, it felt like a knife twisting in his chest.

"Get it together, Diaz," Marco muttered to himself. "You're her guard, not her... boyfriend."

But that's what hurt the most. Because deep down, he couldn't help but wish he was.

The music changed to a slower, softer tune, and the sight of the Prince pulling Star closer as they danced sent a surge of heat through Marco. He clenched his fists, trying to shake the jealousy bubbling up inside him.

Suddenly, Star caught his gaze from across the room. Her smile faltered. For a moment, she looked conflicted. She stopped dancing.

"Marco!" Star called out, leaving The Prince mid-spin to march back across the ballroom toward him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Marco mumbled, avoiding her eyes. "Go back to your dance. I'm just... doing my job."

Star narrowed her eyes, clearly unconvinced. "Doing your job, huh? Is your job to look like you swallowed a lemon?"

Marco sighed, his resolve crumbling under her gaze. "It's just... seeing you with all those guys..."

Star raised an eyebrow. "And?"

"And... I don't like it, okay?" The words burst out before he could stop them. "It's like... I'm supposed to be protecting you, but I can't protect you from... them."

Star blinked in surprise, and for a moment, neither of them spoke. Then, to his shock, she laughed—a soft, genuine laugh.

"Marco, you don't have to protect me from dancing." She stepped closer, her tone softer now. "It's just a ball. But if it really bothers you that much..." She grabbed his hand, her fingers warm against his. "Then maybe you should be the one dancing with me."

Marco's breath caught in his throat. "I... I don't know if that's such a good idea."

Star's grin widened. "Too late!"

Before he could protest, Star pulled him onto the dance floor. The world around them seemed to blur as she placed his hand on her waist and took his other hand in hers.

"See?" Star said as they began to sway to the music. "This isn't so bad, is it?"

Marco shook his head, his pulse racing. "No, it's... it's not bad at all."

For a few moments, there was silence between them. The only sound was the soft music and the gentle rustle of Star's gown as they moved in time. Marco felt the tension melt away as he realized how right it felt to have her in his arms like this.

"You know," Star said quietly, "I didn't really want to dance with all those other guys."

Marco looked down at her, surprised. "You didn't?"

Star shook her head, her eyes locking onto his. "I was just waiting for you to ask."

The confession hit Marco like a tidal wave. He stared at her, his heart pounding so loudly he was sure she could hear it.

"I'm sorry," Marco whispered. "I should've asked."

Star smiled, her eyes softening. "Well, you're here now. That's what matters."

As the final notes of the song echoed through the ballroom, Marco held Star a little tighter, grateful for the moment they were sharing. He might not have been the first boy to dance with her tonight, but as long as he was the last, that was all that mattered.