Part 39; A dark place

Alex opened his eyes, feeling disoriented. The space around him was unfamiliar, cold, and eerily silent. He looked around, finding himself in a long, dimly lit hallway. The lights flickered weakly, casting unsettling shadows on the walls.

"Where am I?" he muttered shaky.

His mind raced, trying to fill in the blanks. He remembered school, dinner... and then, nothing. It was like his memory hit a wall. He stood up slowly, his body tense, feeling the chill in the air. The hallway stretched in two directions, each as dark and unwelcoming as the other.

"Ember?" he called out, his voice echoing in the emptiness.

Nothing. No reply. It was too quiet, unnervingly so. Alex felt scared, much like the first time he'd woken up at the facility. But this felt different—more ominous, more surreal. He started walking, his footsteps echoing louder than he liked. He called out to Ember again, hoping she would appear and tell him what was happening, but there was only silence.

As he rounded a corner, something flickered in the corner of his eye. A shadow, maybe? He spun around, his heart racing, but saw nothing. Just the hallway, stretching into darkness. His gut told him to keep moving, so he did.

He opened the first door he came across. It creaked loudly, sending a shiver down his spine. Inside was a bedroom, but it looked like it had been abandoned for decades. Broken furniture, dust-covered floors.

"What is this place?" he whispered, his unease growing.

He rummaged through an old desk, searching for any kind of clue, but found nothing. No answers. The room felt wrong—like it was from another time, another world. He stepped out into the hallway again. There had to be a way out of this place.

Suddenly, a noise came from behind him—a soft, shuffling sound. His body went cold. Slowly, he turned around. There, in the shadows, stood a woman. She was pale, her skin almost glowing in the dim light, with bright pink lips that stood out against her ghostly white dress. She didn't seem like just a woman.

Alex froze, his breath caught in his throat. His instincts screamed at him to run, so he did. He bolted down the hall, heart pounding, pushing open the nearest door and diving into another room. It was a bedroom again, similar to the first, but he didn't care. He dove under the bed, hiding.

The footsteps came closer, slowly entering the room. He held his breath, watching her feet move across the floor. Alex's body trembled as she stood just inches away from his hiding spot.

"Please don't find me," he thought, while panic was rising.

But the footsteps eventually faded, and she left the room. Alex let out a shaky breath, his mind racing. He couldn't keep running like this—he had to figure out what was going on. Something clicked in his mind, and then he remembered: the date. October 30th.

"The games..." he whispered, realization dawning on him. "This is one of their games."

His fear started to ebb away, replaced by a cautious confidence. Of course, it was a game. He'd been through plenty of them by now. The fear wasn't real—it was just another sick twist for entertainment. He scanned the room again, his eyes landing on a small camera tucked away in the corner. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Gotcha," he said with a smirk.

It was all part of the game. That's why it felt so strange. He wasn't in any real danger—he just had to figure out how to win. His body still trembled slightly from the shock, but the realization helped him calm down. He wasn't as scared anymore.

"So, how do I win this?" he thought aloud, walking over to a window. He pushed against it, but it wouldn't open. "Of course," he muttered. "No easy way out."

He knew he had to find the real exit. Moving more carefully now, Alex crept through the hallways, checking each door as he passed. The fear had lessened, though the creepy atmosphere and the woman hunting him put him on edge.

As he rounded another corner, his foot snagged on a wire.

"Shit!"

The ceiling opened up above him, dumping a cloud of colored powder over his head. A small ball dropped, ringing loudly as it bounced across the floor.

"No, no, no!" Alex cursed under his breath, knowing the noise would alert her. He darted into the next room, quickly hiding under the bed again, just in time to hear the familiar footsteps approaching.

They were closer now, echoing loudly in the hallway. The ghostly woman entered the room, and Alex watched in silent dread as her feet moved across the floor once more. But this time, something was different. Instead of passing by, a pale hand reached under the bed and grabbed his arm.

Alex gasped, yanked out from his hiding spot with surprising force. He struggled, trying to break free, but her grip was too strong. She dragged him through the hallway into a small, pink room. The walls were covered in a sickly-sweet pink hue, and in the center of the room stood a chair.

Without a word, she strapped him down, and Alex felt a chill run down his spine. His fear started to return, but before he could panic, she painted his thumb with pink polish. He watched as a heart vanished from the screen in front of him—his name now had only four hearts left.

"Right," he muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes. "I lose a life. Figures."

The ghostly figure loosened the straps, letting him go, and Alex quickly sprinted out of the room. His heart still raced, but now it was more from adrenaline than fear. He had to play smarter, be more cautious if he wanted to avoid losing again.

As he moved through the hallways. He tried every door he came across, some leading to more rooms, some leading back into the maze of hallways. It was like a twisted, haunted house, and he needed to find the exit.

After what felt like hours, he finally spotted it—the double doors at the end of a hallway. Relief washed over him. This had to be the way out. He ran toward them, excitement bubbling inside him. But just as he reached for the handles, the floor beneath him gave way.

"Of course," he groaned as he slid down a chute and landed in a room filled with colored powder. Another ghost-like figure appeared, and Alex didn't even resist this time as she painted another nail. Another heart disappeared from the screen.

"Okay, that's two hearts down," he muttered, trying to stay calm. "But I can still win."

After being released again, he retraced his steps, navigating the maze with a sharper focus. It took longer than he wanted, but eventually, he reached the double doors once more. This time, they opened without incident. He stepped through, finally emerging onto the main stage where the crowd was cheering.

Ember rushed up to him, her face full of concern. "Alex! I'm so sorry! If I had known, I would've warned you."

Alex laughed, shaking his head. "It's fine. Scary as hell, but actually kind of fun."

Ember let out a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you're okay. Come on, let's get you cleaned up."

Back in the bath, Alex started to relax as Ember washed his hair. "I love your hands in my hair," he said, feeling more at ease now.

Ember giggled softly. "I know you do."

As the screen turned on, the lady's voice echoed through the room. "My scared beauties, today's Halloween-themed game was just a taste. Tomorrow, you'll be gathering candy. But what will you be dressed as? Well, that's up to today's results."

Alex watched, his body tired but his mind focused. He placed fourth, earning himself the role of a vampire for tomorrow's event.

"Cool, I'm going to be Dracula," he said with a grin.

"Actually," Ember said with a nervous smile, "you'll be more like Dracula's wife."

"Oh," Alex sighed, a little disappointed but not surprised.

As he dried off and got ready for bed, Ember handed him his final set of underwear. "Remember, tonight's the last night for the pads and thong," she said, smiling softly.

Alex nodded, relieved. "Finally, almost done."

After Ember brought him to his room. They said goodnight. And alex fell asleep again.