but I can

Chapter Twenty:
BUT I CAN

BELLAMY'S POV:

I stepped out of my car, my hands shaking. I'm suppose to meet Clarke for dinner in a half hour, but before I meet her, I wanted to meet with her mother and step-father to gain their blessing in asking Clarke to marry me. Now, I already asked, but it's still the gentleman thing to do.

I made my way to the house, and knocked on the door, confidently.

Kane opened the door, smiling," Bellamy? It's nice too see you, son. I believe Clarke had just left to meet you for a nice dinner?"

I nodded," Yes, sir, you're right."

" Would you like to come inside?"

" Yes, I would like to speak to you and your wife."

He allows me to come inside, and I follow him into the living room. I smile to Mrs. Griffin, and Kane motions for me to sit down on the couch. He asks," Is everything okay?"

" I sure hope so."

Mrs. Griffin frowns," Bellamy, Clarke isn't here." She says, sitting up in her chair.

I nodded, slightly," I would like to ask you two an important question."

She looked at Kane and then returned her eyes to me," Sure, go right ahead, Bellamy."

" I have asked Clarke to marry me, and I would love to receive a blessing from the both of you. I love your daughter very much, and I plan on making her happy for as long as I live."

Kane crosses his arms, leaning on the wall," How come you didn't come to us sooner? Before the proposal, perhaps?"

I sigh," She found the ring before I had the change to."

Mrs. Griffin says," And why is now the right time for this? She's barely legal, and still living in our house, under our house rules and still in high school?"

" And by the time we're ready to be married, she won't be, and we'll be living together and ready to take the next step."

" This is still very soon, I believe," Mrs. Griffin explains softly.

I nod," I believe Clarke and I are ready."

Kane shakes his head," I won't grant my blessing. I think this is way too soon, and it won't work out in the long run, I'm sorry, son."

" They've been together for what feels like forever, Kane. And Bellamy, he's been there for Clarke ever since I can remember."

Kane shakes his head," I'm sorry. It's not very responsible. She's not even graduated yet."

I nod," Very well then."

Mrs. Griffin frowns," Bellamy, I agree, he has a point."

" Thank you for your time."

" But, I believe you'll be there for Clarke when we can't and you'll take care of her no matter what. You two love each other unconditionally, right?"

I smile," Yes, ma'am."

She nods," Then why wait?"

I stand up after she does and hug her tightly. She rubs my back and smiles," You said you have already asked?"

I nod," She said yes."

" My baby Clarke is engaged!" She hugs me again, and smiles.

Kane holds out his hand," Congratulations, son."