Chapter 28

Alaska's POV

"I've got news." I suddenly heard a deep voice beside me followed by someone casually hanging their arm around my shoulders. I turned to my side and came face to face with my brother.

Damn, I totally forgot that he was walking with me.

"What's up?" I asked as I kept my phone away in my pocket and adjusted my bag strap.

"You know the girl I was talking to you about?" Alec asked, raising his eyebrows a little. "The one I like." He continued after taking in my confused face.

My mind instantly started working faster and I felt more awake - something no amount of coffee could help me with.

"Yes! Who is she? Is she here?" I started scanning the school carpark for any girl who could possibly match my brother's taste. "Is it Simone? Or Tianna? Oh my god, Gina? She's pretty. Maybe a little bitchy but if you like her, I will shi-"

Suddenly, all I felt was Alec's hand on my mouth, momentarily shutting me up. "Geez sis, calm down for a second!" Alec exclaimed and pulled his hand away from my mouth. "She isn't here and no, it isn't any of those above mentioned girls." He rolled his eyes and I sighed.

"But I am planning on asking the girl out today." Alec muttered and I perked up again.

"Really?" I silently squealed.

"Yeah, it's about time I guess." He shrugged and gave me a nervous smile. I've never seen my brother this nervous and edgy before, it was adorable!

"So when are you going to ask her?" I probed as we walked into school together, heading towards the lockers.

"By lunch, I hope." Alec ran a hand through his hair and I knew that he was feeling nervous as all hell.

"You'll be fine, just be yourself. Plus, any girl would be dumb not to date you." I smiled, trying to encourage him as much as I could.

Alec's lips stretched into a smile and I saw a full display of his perfect teeth. "Thanks sis." He kissed my temple before taking his arm off my shoulders. "I'll see you at lunch with some good news." Alec said before he took off running in the direction of his first class.

"You're the best!" He yelled at me before disappearing around the corner. I grinned and shook my head as I opened my locker and retrieved the books I needed for today.

~~

Jace wasn't in school today. Or he had been wearing the cloak of invisibility and walking around school, freaking me out the whole time. But whatever the reason was, I didn't see him for the first few hours of school.

I sent him a few messages and even a voicemail, checking up on him but he never got back to me. I should have started worrying about him like how he worried about me last week but something in me told me that I had nothing to worry about.

And as usual, my gut was proven right as I saw Jace enter the cafeteria for lunch. Unknowingly, I felt my cheeks heat up and I couldn't help but think back to the day we were both at the beach, confessing our feelings for one another.

Ever since I replied Jace's question with a 100% positive yes, he has been nothing but sweet to me and possibly way more loving than before. Even though we had just known each other for less than 6 months, something about him made me trust him with all I had.

And that says a lot since Alaska Cullen never trusted easily.

We had stayed till late in the beach, talking about everything and anything under the sun. He told me how he only lives with his dad since his mum passed away when he was still a toddler. He told me about his sister, Esther the sweet girl who had been his mother, father and everything. I still remember the way Jace talked about his sister; I had never seen him that serious about any matter before. He told me how she was like, the things she liked to do and most importantly, how precious she was to him. It broke my heart to watch him talk about her so fondly even when she wasn't around anymore. It only made it harder for me to realize that I'll never meet the one person who probably caused the best changes in Jace's life.