Chapter 8

Well I am hoping my last patient gets here in a few minutes and then we can lock up for the night. At least your sister stayed to help out with Victoria for a while till we were less busy Michael. Yeah I guess. I am sorry Daisy. About what? I looked at Michael shocked that he was apologizing for something. I never even knew what for. Daisy I am a fool. Michael about what? For you to deal with some of my tough patients today. I should of called them and said I couldn't see them today and book them when I had openings. No it's okay Michael I was fine dealing with them. Right then a woman stormed into the waiting room in a rant with her daughter that was maybe fifteen. Tell him what you just said to me Missy. Um another un expected patient right now. I am guessing Michael. Yeah and it is already six at night. Yeah well I can stay here for a bit longer till I have to go home and let the dogs out. Thanks Daisy. No problem. I watched as Michael took a deep breathe before speaking to this very angry mother. Sandra what is wrong? My stupid daughter......Sandra first I am going to ask you if you have any weapons on you. No I left them in my car. Thank goodness. So the second thing I want to tell you right now you do not call your daughter stupid. I am a parent myself now and I would not say anything to hurt my daughters feelings. Even if somethings your child does drives you insane. Okay so without putting your daughter down tell me what's going on. She thinks she can move in with her twenty year old boyfriend. Tell her that is a bad idea. Okay let me get your daughter's thoughts to this. Why are you thinking this? Because I can't handle my mother any more. Since I got together with my boyfriend he said to me if I couldn't handle my mom any more I could move in with him. After my mom brought her fifth or sixth boyfriend home last night that was my last straw. She takes more time into trying to find the right man then being a mother to me. Okay that's a story I have not heard before and I have heard a lot of stories in my time in practice. Right then the daughter started crying. She doesn't understand how much it hurts for me. She does not know how it feels like to not have a normal childhood. Did you ever go through that sort of pain like you never had a mother really? I smiled my memory went back to the day I found out my mother had cancer I was glad she went into remission. But it hurt so much to not have a normal mother really. Even if she never worked she was there for me and then she wasn't for grade eight and for the most part high school because of treatment. Yeah I kind of understand. Hearing that he understood what the daughter felt like to not have a normal childhood I wondered what was his childhood like. Right then Michael's mom came into the office crying. Okay um hi. Right then Victoria waddled over to Michael's mother and said grandma. Michael's mom picked her up still crying. Michael you off work soon. Um after this emergency case and my client that is meant to be coming any minute now. Okay. Mom work can wait. Hearing Michael stern voice saying those words I could tell he was dedicated to his family. Hearing his mother say it was back you could see by Michael's face he was done with the stress of life in that moment. Right then Michael got up from where he was sitting in one of the waiting room chairs and walked out of the office. Um is that normal. We need help. Yes I know that. Um this is my first freaking day on the job is all of them going to be like this? I do not know dear. But go after him. But bring Babe with you she has a keen nose. She can hunt him down no problem. Okay I will. Hearing his mother call me dear was strange to me. But I just knew it was her way of being polite. Walking into that elevator not knowing where Michael went too was bad. I only knew him from grade eight for goodness sakes. How could I help him with this problem. But at the same time I knew I could help him. Maybe because dealing with all the things that had happened in my life so far. I thought I could help him. Maybe he was right I did have a special ability to connect with people and help them. I helped that patient today of his that went into a crying fit because her husband was going to die. He couldn't help her. But I could and I never knew how I did it. But I did. I hope I could help him with the hurt he was experiencing. I really did hope. If I could help him maybe just maybe I was made to be counsellor all along.