Chapter 10

Stupid rain. Why did he have to leave when it is down pouring rain. Babe do you know where he went to? I knew I was sounding like a crazy woman as I was walking in the down pouring rain talking to a dog. But in a strange way I had a feeling she knew where her owner was and I needed to find him. Right away that dog started pulling on the leash. I could not hold onto her so I let the leash go and she started walking in the opposite direction then I was heading before. Quite a few times she would look back at me to make sure I was till following her. Michael where have you gone? I looked around but I could not find where he was. I really needed to find him and soon. My body could not take this cold rain much longer. Right then a fat dachshund came bounding up to us and that big dog that I was following to try to find Michael bent down and licked the small shaking with happiness dog. Babe you missed your little brother don't you? An older woman was petting the massifs head. I never even knew who she was. Right then the woman looked at me. Who are you? Why are you walking this dog? This woman was bold. I would not just say that to a stranger at all. Um I am on a hunt for my boss that kind of walked out of the office. His mother said to me to bring this dog with me because it could be easier to find him. I don't know how it could be easier to find him. But I listened to her. Thank goodness, I thought he already moved on. My daughter was his life. If he moved on right now, I would think he was not as crazy in love with my daughter as he said he was. You were his wife's mother? Yes I was. Do you know where he went to? Check the graveyard sweetheart. He runs their all the time when he is upset. What's the dog's name? Charlie. Me and him made a deal when she died he took their massifs and I took my daughter's dachshund. My husband died and my daughter died and I am still alive. Seeing the woman almost break down in tears. My heart broke for her. She had a hard life I knew that for sure. Even if we hardly knew each other. If you find him darling tell him I would love to see my granddaughter soon. Yeah I will. Thanks. I had to pull that massif away from that dachshund and our search was on again. When we were a street away from the graveyard. I was already drenched and I felt water in my shoes. Babe's fur was sticking to her body as she was soaked and I knew she would need to be dried off before she went inside again. But I kept on walking and the dog did too. The dog perked up when we got to the graveyard and she started to run. I had to run to try to catch up to that dog that was racing through the graveyard on a mission it almost seemed like. When I spotted Michael by a gravesite I stopped and watched that big dog toppled him to the ground and started to lick his face. Hey who brought you here girl? I did. Michael looked to me and smiled at me. Thanks. You welcome. Actually, your mother made me go find you. Oh. I can't believe it Daisy my mother has cancer, my wife is dead, I am a single parent and well how can I be a good parent me being on my own. I was not a guy that wanted kids or I never thought at least. Then Victoria was born and that changed my life. I sat down beside Michael. Even if the grass was soaked and muddy. But I already was wet so who cares if I got more wet and a bit muddy. How did she die? Why do you want to know? Michael I want to help you. I read something that Zoey came across a few years back and it really is true. What did it say? How one broken heart can help heal someone else's. Yeah that is true. So many times I had clients saying to me no one understands them and then I pull out a wacky story of my life or one of my friends. By the end they say they are lucky that some people do understand. Tell me how she died Michael? I looked to the gravestone the name on it was Victoria. I looked at him and he smiled at me. I guess he knew my look or he got it often one of the two. We named our daughter after her. That's why when I said my daughter's name today she said mama. I always called my wife Vicky though. Oh by the way before I forget I think it was your mother in law that said to me that she would love to see her granddaughter soon. Yeah I am meant to bring her over every Friday. But I have not lately. Oh. Now let's talk. Yeah I guess. But I have left my mother with clients. Her main thing Michael is for you to be okay. She will be fine talking to the clients for a bit. Okay. How did she die? It was a very freak accident. What do you mean? The reason why I ran out of the office was my wife had cancer. What? Yeah and she was going to one of her chemo treatments and she was getting better when an impaired driver hit the car. What I know is that when she was trying to get out of the vehicle after the accident a transport truck couldn't stop and he hit her. She died on impact. Oh I am so sorry. I started to cry. No wonder he couldn't tell his clients what happened to his wife. It would just be like him re living it over and over again. The weirdest thing and I can't get it out of my mind is she saying to me before she left no you are not going with me today you got Victoria to take care of. My most precious gift take care of her well. Then she was gone. It seemed like she knew that he was leaving this earth that day. Well Michael sometimes I say people know that they are going to die that day. My grandfather went inside he was complaining his chest was tight and he went inside to get something down stairs and my grandmother found him lying on the ground inside. We both started to cry. But when he wrapped his arm around me I looked at him surprised. But I was too upset to bother. I never got upset like this. But today maybe because it was close to May I was getting upset. His arm around my shoulders just felt right. I never had any human contact for a while. Especially when I cried and it felt nice to be comforted. Right then the rain stopped hitting us. But it kept pouring rain everywhere else but where we were sitting. What the... Do I have to go on a hunt for two crying people every day in my life or is it just today? Hey. I looked up and there was Michael's mom smiling a smile I knew that was fake. I got up right away embarrassed that I was crying leaning on Michael his arm wrapped around me. Michael just shook his head. Don't worry I counselled your patient that you had in there and your other one last minute cancelled. Okay thanks. I also locked up and sent your sister home with Victoria. She just said that she was going to call Victoria's other grandmother to watch her and for you to pick her up there. Oh okay. You know when I get a call from your mother in law Michael it is interesting time she was saying if only she could see her granddaughter that was the deal she could see her. So I had to set everything up today. Thanks mom or should I say my receptionist of my life. I do not know what you would do if I died. Daisy I am telling you right now that if I die from this horrible disease then you will have to book babysitters for Victoria and book time with his mother in law to watch Victoria because he won't think of it. Um where should we go to talk because I do not think we should keep talking to the down pouring rain? I never knew what I was thinking. Probably I was not. But I spoke up very fast. Probably because I never wanted to be alone for the rest of the night. Just yet. You can come over to my place it is not far from here and I think I got some food in my house still. I think at least. I have been eating take out a lot lately and crying. So I don't know what I have in my cupboards. Okay sounds good to me. I never knew what made me say that. But it was too late now. I hoped it was not too awkward having my boss and his mother for dinner. But if it was that would be totally out of my control.