Chapter 21: The Party

Chapter 21:

I stared at my phone. It sat in my hands, mocking me. Right there, right in front of my eyes, was that one button I should press. I wanted to press. 

I was homesick again. I missed my little brother, Jonathan and I missed my father. I even missed my mother, the woman that literally sent me packing for England. I wanted to go back to Ireland though, where I grew up. Not in this raucous city where everyone thought I was different because of my accent. Sure I was Irish, but did that make me any different? No. We're all human.

But I missed my Irish home. How could Niall last being away from his family so long because I did all I could to keep my mind off of it. I used distractions to keep me from missing home so much, but I found myself staring at my home phone number on the screen.

What if Mum picked up?

What if Jonathan hated me for not talking to him?

What if Dad didn't wish to speak to me?

I pressed call. 

Ring

Ring

Ring

Ring

"Hello?"

"Daddy?"

"Cassandra! Is that you?" He asked. I missed his voice so much. Months without hearing his voice and months without seeing him drove me nuts. I always had a close relationship with my father and being away from him hurt. 

"Yes," I replied. There was a long pause before I continued. Hearing his voice was just enough to make me feel a bit better. "I missed you, Daddy."

"Oh honey," he said, "I miss you too. Jonathan does too. We didn't know if it was really a good idea to call because...your mother. She- you know how she is."

"You and Jonathan can call me any time Dad! I missed you both so so much. London is so big and it's so foreign. I'm beginning to get homesick and Mum, I'm beginning to miss her as well."

"Your mother is angry with you after you left like that. Even when she said she liked Niall, she never really did. I don't understand why since he's such a nice lad. If there was any guy I wanted you to end up with, it'd be Niall. He was a keeper, but things change don't they?"

"Niall has a girlfriend," I told him, "but he's still a great friend and roommate. The only down side is that we have to go grocery shopping at least twice a week. Both of us under the same roof? There's never enough food."

"That's my girl! I hope you're doing alright. Give me a call any time you want darling, but right now I've got to drop your brother off at school. He's yelling at me to hurry up right now actually. I'll talk to you later honey. Bye Cassandra."

"Bye Daddy," I sighed. He ended the call first and I lightly tossed my phone onto my bed. I missed home a lot. More than ever before. It wasn't that I didn't like being here with Niall, I just didn't necessarily enjoy watching Niall kissing and holding hands and being so intimate with another girl. I wasn't even afraid to admit that I was jealous because that was the truth. I was jealous of Macy. Under the makeup was a beautiful girl, a girl that had money and had a body to die for. A girl that Niall liked. Maybe even loved.

"Hey Cass?" Niall had opened the door and stuck his head into my room. He looked as if he had just woken up, with his hair flat around his face and sticking in odd directions. His eyes were tired and he still had his pajama pants on.

"Yeah?"

"Since Macy's not going to be here for the rest of the week, would you like to accompany me to this party tonight? It's one of those nice parties, the dressy ones, and I'm obligated to bring a date."