Chapter 34: Fighting

Chapter 34:

He sincerely looked confused. His eyebrows were scrunched together and his mouth was parted slightly. He played with his hands and then looked down at them, then back up at me.

"I...Niall, you don't know who I am?" I questioned. My voice was near cracking and my legs felt like jelly. My heart was pounding against my chest to the point where I could barely take it because it actually hurt. 

"I'm sorry," he said, "should I know you? Did we go to school? Are you Greg's friend or something? I...I'm not that sure. If you could please tell me, that'd be great because I am awfully confused right now." Niall reached up and scratched his head, then ruffling his now nearly all brown hair. There were wisps of blonde hair, but barely any at all.

I started picking at my nails, getting more nervous by the second. The guy that I loved, who had been my first love, didn't remember me at all. Zip, nothing. I was a stranger to him. I'd have to strart over and it was already hard enough to talk about the past. It hurt. 

I had already been through enough, and this just made my life twenty times worse. I thought things were going to get better because yesterday, the only thing really messed up in my life was Niall being in a coma, but there was always hope that he'd wake soon.

But this was a whole other level. He had no clue who I was, which was just as bad as him never knowing me in the first place. I had all the memories when he held none. I tried blinking back tears, actually being successful for a little bit. Then, unforunately, one tear finally escaped.

I couldn't handle this.

"I-I'm just gonna go now," I stammered to Maura, "I don't think...I'm gonna go home and get some more sleep."

"For God's sakes Niall, give the girl a break," Greg scolded, "if you don't tell her now, she'll never forgive you and you know it too."

"What-"

"C'mere, Cass," Niall grinned, "I was only kidding."

He was kidding. He called me Cass. He knew who I was. The bastard never lost his memory- he was playing with my emotions like the twat he was, but at the same time, I was just happier than I ever thought I'd be.

"What're you doing all the way over there?" he cheekily grinned. "C'mere!"

I hastily made my way towards his bed and threw my arms around his neck, then burying my head into the crook of his neck. "You sick bastard," I muttered, "you just wanted to see me fall apart right in front of your eyes. That was mean."

He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to his body. "I'm just glad that you were here when I woke up...unlike me. It'd be horrible if...if when I woke up, you were gone and never gonna come back..."

"Why would you think that? I've been visiting every day," I told him.

"We're gonna leave the two of you and when you're done, just come and fetch us Cassandra," Maura told me, "we'll be in the cafeteria for now. Breakfast is coming up!"

"Fetch me something too?" Niall asked.

"Sure sweetie," his mother smiled and blew a kiss towards her son.

Niall's family left the room, leaving just the two of us alone. Niall stared back at me, his blue eyes looking tired and dull, but his smile made up for it. Although his smile was different now, it was still as genuine as it was years ago with his crooked teeth. His smile would always be beautiful to me. He would always be the one for me.

"You scared the hell out of me," I sniffled, ruffling his already messy hair, "you could be an actor. That was so realistic. I was about to walk out those doors and start bawling my eyes out." I wiped away a few tears that had managed to escape, hoping that Niall didn't see them. God, tears made me feel weak.