Preparations

The next day, Monday, as Amie, Hermione and Harry walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast, Amie noticed that Harry was acting off.

"Are you okay, Harry?" she asked him.

"Wha -? I'm fine," Harry said, snapping out of his thoughts.

"No you're not. Of course you're not. But it'll be okay, Harry," Amie comforted him.

"Thanks, Amie,"

They spent longer time then usual at breakfast, and when they finally got ready to leave, they only had a few minutes to spare until their first class began.

"Amie, Hermione, I'll see you in the greenhouses," Harry said distractedly, looking over at the Hufflepuff table, and Cedric who was also leaving. "Go on, I'll catch you up,"

"Harry, you'll be late, the bell's about to ring-"

"I'll catch you up, okay?" Harry persisted.

"Come on, Hermione," Amie said, grabbing Hermione's arm and dragging her away.

"Amie!" Hermione protested, struggling in Amie's grip. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to Herbology, and I'm taking you with me," Amie said simply.

"But -- Harry -" Hermione said.

"He told us to go on, we go on," Amie explained. "He's entitled to his own space, and I have a feeling he wanted to talk to someone, alone,"

"Who?" Hermione asked curiously.

"You're really not that observant, are you, Hermione?" Amie teased.

"Don't play with me, Amie, who was it?" Hermione insisted with narrowed eyes.

"Oh, come on," Amie moaned, refusing to answer, and continuing to drag Hermione to class.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Harry didn't show up until several minutes into Herbology. Amie could see on his face, as he muttered an apology to Professor Sprout when he passed her, that he was onto something.

"Hermione, Amie," he whispered as he reached them. "I need you to help me."

"What d'you think we've been trying to do, Harry?" Hermione said anxiously, pruning her Flutterby Bush.

"I need to learn how to do a Summoning Charm properly by tomorrow afternoon," Harry said.

"YES!" Amie exclaimed, and the class fell silent and watched her. Amie blushed under their stares.

"Miss Jones?" Professor Sprout said sternly. "Do you have anything you wish to share with the class?"

"Sorry Professor Sprout," Amie apologized. "It's nothing,"

As their classmates slowly turned back to their own pruning, Amie turned to Harry.

"That's how you'll get past the dragon?" she whispered, and Harry nodded. "Brilliant!"

And so they practised. Instead of going to lunch, they found a free classroom where Harry got started on trying to get things to fly to him.

"Concentrate, Harry, concentrate...." Hermione said.

"What d'you think I'm trying to do?" Harry snapped. "A great big dragon keeps popping up in my head for some reason... Okay, try again..."

Harry wanted to skip Divination to keep practising, but Hermione refused to skive off Arithmancy, and Amie didn't want to skip class without a really good reason. Keeping Harry alive was a good reason, but she had a good feeling that he was going to get the hang of it. He was already halfway there.