Speculations

The next morning Amie was very tired. She and the others had stayed up late, talking about what had happened down by the forest. Eventually they had gone to bed, but they hadn't slept long because as soon as daybreak came they crept out of their dormitories and hurried up to the owlery to send a note to Sirius. Now they were standing looking out upon the grounds through a window. 

"It comes down to this," said Hermione, rubbing her forehead. "Either Mr. Crouch attacked Viktor, or somebody else attacked both of them when Viktor wasn't looking."

Amie rolled her eyes.

"It must've been Crouch," said Ron immediately. "That's why he was gone when Harry and Dumbledore got there. He'd done a runner,"

"I don't think so," Harry shook her head. "He seemed really weak - I don't reckon he was up to Disapparating or anything,"

"Have neither of you listened to me? Crouch didn't do anything, it was someone else! And either way, Ron, you can't Apparate and Disapparate on the Hogwarts grounds." Amie said crossly - seriously, did they ever remember anything she said?

"Sorry, Amie, we're just discussing what could have happened," Hermione said, sending an apologetic look in Amie's direction. "Go through it again, Harry. What did Mr. Crouch actually say?"

"I've told you, he wasn't making much sense," Harry said. "He said he wanted to warn Dumbledore about something. He definitely mentioned Bertha Jorkins, and he seemed to think she was dead. He kept saying stuff was his fault... He mentioned his son,"

"Well, that was his fault," said Hermione. "And that part about Bertha makes sense, Amie did say she was dead during dinner at the Burrow this summer,"

"Did not!" Amie argued.

"Even if you don't remember it Amie, it happened. You said 'Don't speak ill of the dead', or something," Harry said. Amie frowned. How could she forget something like that? "Anyway, Crouch was out of his mind. Half the time he seemed to think his wife and son were still alive, and he kept talking to Percy about work and giving him instructions."

"And... remind me what he said about You-Know-Who?" Ron said tentatively.

"I've told you," Harry said again. "He said he's getting stronger,"

Ron was quiet for a few seconds.

"But he was out of his mind, like you said, so half of it was probably just raving...." Ron said, trying to convince himself more than anyone else that Crouch was lying.

"He was sanest when he was trying to talk about Voldemort," Harry said, making Ron wince. "He was having real trouble stringing two words together, but that was when he seemed to know where he was, and know what he wanted to do. He just kept saying he had to see Dumbledore."

Harry turned away from the window, looking up into the rafters. Most perchers were empty, but now and then an owl would fly in from one of the windows.

"If Snape hadn't held me up," Harry said angrily. "we might've got there in time. 'The Headmaster is busy, Potter... What's this rubbish, Potter?' Why couldn't he have just got out of the way?"

"Maybe he didn't want you to get there!" Ron said excitedly. "Maybe - hang on - how fast d'you reckon he could've gotten down to the forest? D'you reckon he could've beaten you and Dumbledore there?"

"Not unless he can turn into a bat or something," Harry said, making Amie snort.

"Wouldn't put it past him," Ron muttered.

"Snape, the Giant Dungeon Bat," Amie snickered.

Harry and Ron laughed, while Hermione just rolled her eyes.