New beginnings

Of course it wasn't over just because the Ministry'd just walked out of them. Amie would've misjudged Dumbledore if she'd believed he would stand back to plan. He was ready, just like he had assured her at the pitch he was. The moment the door shut behind Fudge, Dumbledore turned to look at them all.

"There is work to be done," he said. "Molly... am I right in thinking that I can count on you and Arthur?"

"Of course you can," Mrs. Weasley said confidently. She was still pale, but she was brave and strong. "He knows what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks proper wizarding pride."

"Then I need to send a message to him," said Dumbledore. "All those that we can persuade of the truth must be notified immediately, and Arthur is well placed to contact those at the Ministry who are not as short-sighted as Cornelius,"

"I'll go to Dad," said Bill, standing up from his chair. "I'll go now,"

"Excellent," said Dumbledore. "Tell him what has happened. Tell him I will be in direct contact with him shortly. He will need to be discreet, however. If Fudge thinks I am interfering at the Ministry -"

"Leave it to me," said Bill. He clapped Harry on the shoulder, pecked Mrs. Weasley on the cheek, pulled on his cloak and walked out of the room.

"Minerva," said Dumbledore, turning to McGonagall. "I want to see Hagrid in my office as soon as possible. Also - if she will consent to come - Madame Maxime."

Professor McGonagall nodded and left the room hastily.

"Poppy," Dumbledore said to the matron. "would you be very kind, and go down to Professor Moody's office, where I think you will find a house-elf called Winky in considerable distress? Do what you can for her, and take her back to the kitchens. I think Dobby will look after her for us."

"Very - very well," said Madam Pomfrey, looking surprised. She, too, left.

Dumbledore made sure that the door were properly closed and Madam Pomfrey's footsteps had died away before he came back to them.

"And now," he said. "it is time for two of our number to recognise each other for what they are. Sirius... if you could resume your usual form,"

Sirius the dog looked up at Dumbledore, and then quickly transformed into his human self. Mrs. Weasley screamed and leapt away.

"Sirius Black!" she shrieked. Amie quickly ran around the bed and stood in front of Sirius in case Mrs. Weasley, George or Snape thought of hexing him.

"Mum, shut up!" Ron yelled. "It's okay!"

Amie knew Sirius and Snape didn't particularly like each other, and though he hadn't reacted to Sirius appearance as Mrs. Weasley had, his face looked full of hatred.

"Him!" he snarled, staring at Sirius, and Amie who was protecting him with her own body. "What is he doing here?"

"He is here at my invitation," said Dumbledore, looking between them. "As are you, Severus. I trust you both. It is time for you to lay aside your old differences, and trust each other."

Amie felt Dumbledore might be asking for too much, both Snape's and Sirius' faces showed the utmost loathing.

"I will settle, in the short term," said Dumbledore impatiently. "for a lack of open hostility. You will shake hands. You are on the same side now. Time is short, and unless the few of us who know the truth stand united, there is no hope for any of us."

Amie stepped slowly away from Sirius, and he and Snape moved towards each other, glaring all the way. They shook hands, but only for a brief second.