Chapter 5: Emergency Room

Meredith's POV
(The ER)

"Yang, Grey, Dasin come here" Chief shouted.

Cristina, a random resident and I rushed towards the incoming ambulances. As a intern I would always listen to my resident and attending but now I was a free man. Well not a free man considering I'm a woman and I still have to take orders from my attending.

"There's been a shooting at the high school and there were some mass casualties and injuries." Dr. Hunt explained.

As the ambulance pulled up a cute paramedic said "John Frazzier, 28 gsw to the upper right arm and left leg."

"Hey Grey, take him to Trauma 1 and do labs, trauma series and run X-rays on the leg and arm" he called out.

I took the patient to trauma room 1, when my friend April came into the room looking really depressed.

"Hey Ape, what's wrong?" I asked in a concerning voice.

"Nothing Mer, it's just that no one paged me for this trauma." She sighed.

"I mean the blondie and Alex are doing surgery with Dr. Torres, on their first day!" She sadly states.

"And Jackson and I were paged to help Dr.Sloan but he only wanted one resident and he chose Jackson. Then I see you and the Asian girl taking care of the incoming traumas." She blurted out.

I felt bad for her. It was true, out of our squad April was the most left out. and now that we had to be friends with the other residents, she felt more left out. So I did what any good friend would do. I knew that it was my first case but I knew since I had a close relationship with chief, he would give me some special cases.

"Don't worry, take this one." I said as I handed her the chart. "Just run some labs, okay?" I smiled. She was speechless, she tried saying thank you but words could not express her happiness.

"Thanks Mer, you're an awesome friend" she said as she smiled and hugged me. Then I left the room.
I decided to go to the galleries and see some cool surgeries. But first I remember what Cristina explained, she told me to always check the board so I could know who's performing what surgery.

The board said:
Dr. Shepherd- Craniotomy - OR 3
Since I was interested in becoming a neurosurgeon I decided to go there.

(OR 3 gallery)
After 20 minutes of watching this Dr. Shepherd start the craniotomy I was hella bored, like for real. First of he was wearing a ferry boat scrub cap and second of all he was flirting with the scrub nurse. Who was this dude? So I decided to read a health magazine until something interesting came along.

Derek's POV
(OR 3)
I could perform this craniotomy in my sleep. This was pretty basic and easy yet for some reason I didn't let my interns do anything. All I did was ask them questions and they stupidly answered. Some scrub nurses made passes at me but they weren't my type. They were probably looking for a fling while I wasn't looking for a relationship.

As I took a quick 5 second break I shifted my head towards the gallery only to see a girl reading a magazine! I was so damn mad. First of all, you don't just come to my OR and not pay attention to the surgery and second of all, who reads health magazines anymore!? Like for real, health magazines were totally false and misleading. A doctor or intern or whatever she was, should have known that.

"When did she come here?" I asked one of my interns.

"She came in at the beginning of surgery" a brunette intern replied. I forgot her name, her name was something like Alexa.

"What's your name?" I asked trying not to sound rude.

"I'm Lexie Grey" she smiled.

"Well Lexie Gray, you can hold the suction as I close up today" I said and then I focused on my surgery.

A/N so I just want to make something clear: this is still the first day. So I hoped you like this update. Also April and Meredith aren't each other's persons so don't worry.  Also remember Derek and Meredith haven't officially met.