One, Single, Painful Second

Summary: Joe is in love with Caspar. Caspar doesn't love him back.
WARNINGS: NONE.

Time is a strange thing. To think of a time as something really confused Joe. He never got the concept of time, he could tell the time sure, but he never truly got it. Time was just time, but it was always something to study on Joe's to-do list.

And the other thing on his to-do list was Caspar.

Joe was hopelessly in love with him. He loved every inch of the boy's body, from head to toe, he loved his accent, everything. He could go on for ages, he just loved him a lot.

And one day he decided to tell him, yet he never thought it could have gone so badly.

"Joe, I'm home!" Caspar called out as he entered the apartment, and Joe prepared himself. Today was the day he was going to tell Caspar about his feelings for him, and he knew that he had a little bit of a shot since Caspar was bi.

"I'm in here." Joe shouted back as he sat comfortably on the sofa, trying to take all the worry off his face. Caspar walked in the room, and flashed a smile, a smile that made Joe's heart melt.

"I was beginning to think you weren't home." Caspar chuckled, and Joe shurrged.
He needed to tell Caspar. And he needed to do it now.

"Listen Caspar-"

"Wait," Caspar said, interrupting him. "I've got a surprise for you later, I'm sure you'll love it. Okay, sorry for interrupting you, carry on."

Joe didn't carry on. He just flipped his hand and told Caspar that he would tell him later, and Caspar nodded. He would tell him after Caspar's 'big' surprise. It seemed like Caspar could care less as he passed it off and carried on talking about his day, it only hurt for a second. Just a second.

But Joe was certain now that Caspar liked him back.

Zoë had told him that she saw it too, the chemistry between them both. It wasn't just Zoë who noticed it either, loads of Joe's friends had let him know. And of course the shippers, they gave Joe the confidence he needed.

I'll tell him later, He thought. I will tell him later, I will let him know how I feel. I won't let this pass, no matter how much Caspar doesn't care.

It was now six, and Caspar had just gone out for two hours before bringing back his 'big surprise' Joe had no idea what it was, but he was hoping it was for him.

So Joe waited, and he waited. He went on his phone, he went on his computer, he did anything to try and make the time go faster.

It had only been an hour.

Out of nowhere, his phone began to ring. It was Zoë.
"Zoë?" He asked as he picked up the phone, sitting down. Rustling could be heard on the other side of the phone, and he heard his sister sigh.

"Joe, I'm sorry."

"What for? You haven't done anything wrong."

"I have, and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything- I was completely wrong."

Joe frowned at her response, "Wrong about what, please Zoë, explain."

He had no idea what she was talking about, in his mind she hadn't done anything wrong at all, but she knew. She knew what was about to happen and she was sorry that she had said all of that to Joe, put his hopes up only to be crushed.

Only fifty minutes to go, that is, if Caspar gets back on time.

Joe must of fell asleep or something, because when he woke up it was half past eight. Caspar was half an hour late, and Joe was worried sick.

Though he was happy that he wouldn't have to wait any longer, he just wanted to know what the surprise was so he could kiss Caspar and everything could be okay. Suddenly, as if it was timed, Joe heard a key in the door. He jumped up, and rushed and stood in front of the door so he could be right there in front to see what the surprise was when Caspar walked in. The door swung open.

Caspar walked in, holding hands with a girl. She was the surprise.

"Meet my girlfriend, Annie."

You know how when things go wrong, time just stops? Almost like you are in a freeze frame, and everything around you just goes blurry as your face falls? This is what happened. And everything crashed down, and Joe felt like he was suffocating.

Memories of him and Caspar together piled up, the sparks that were between them were burning out from Caspar stamping on them. He understood what Zoë meant by 'I'm sorry', he felt sorry for himself too, he felt crushed. He built his hopes too high. His mind went dizzy with so many thoughts, each of them cutting his heart into little pieces, making him bleed. It felt like a lifetime.

But in reality, it had only been a second.

"Oh, hi. It's nice to meet you, I'm Joe."

Joe never told Caspar.

Yes he did go on, sure it hurt watching Caspar and Annie be in love, but he soon got over it. Just like he got over Caspar. And after a while everything went back to normal, but after all this time, he never had felt as much pain as he had felt in that second. It just took time, and that's all he needed. Time.

Like I said, Joe never got the concept of time. But in that single second, he had never understood it more.

Don't forget to comment and vote if you liked it :)