"Since when have "cute guys" ever notice me?"

I went back in the morning, I saw her already up and wearing different clothes, her shirt saying: "Some people call me short, but I call myself 'just short enough to reach your shins'." She saw me and sat down carefully, as if scare of chasing me off. "Your back again I see." She said, humour in her voice. "Turns out there will be new students come Monday morning, Gina, my friend, told me, meaning most of them will be boys and quote-unquote 'cute, hot, or sexy'." Yeah, one of them is me. "But that's just how Gina is, still fascinated by only the shell, not interested by the person inside..." She said and sighed. "I won't be keeping you. I have some things to do." She said and patted the wood ledge. She closed the window and walked out of her room. I high tailed it back to my home, remembering that I had some things to do myself.

***

I got everything done and ready for Monday morning. I fought my younger brother for the bathroom to take a shower, mine doesn't work, the knob controlling how much water you use is broken on the cold side, I don't really want to look or feel like a boiled crab after I take a shower.
I wrapped a towel around myself and another around my hair before gathering up my clothes and walking back to my bedroom so Calvin can take a shower. I went back to my room, which is where I spend the majority of my time. Sure, I have some friends, so you really can't call me antisocial just because I spend most of my time out of school in my room. To me, it's the safest room in the house, it always will be, until I move out in one to two years. It's decided that I'll be moving out a week after school. My mom says I don't have to, that Calvin will be lonely, he resents that fact. I shook my head, remembering the fight my mom and I had. She had four children, I've never considered my older brother and sister to be my half siblings, they've always just been Reese and Max. Reese now has a little boy just like himself, along with a wife who is... very childish, drama for teenagers. My sister Max moved to New York a couple years back after a messy break up involving the police. She now has a boyfriend, a baby on the way, and a house all set up. I tried to have a boyfriend, didn't work out so we stayed friends. Calvin on the other hand has his eyes set on him. My friend, William, well, I call him Wil, is my grade and planing to move to Alaska after high school. Calvin always watched him when he came over to hang out. They'd play video games so I tuned out and began to read, mostly one's where they boys are kind and the girls are more like me, big bodied girls, which are hard to find unless you go into that shifter fiction, which most contain porn. So, I don't read it. "Sam! Come on, Reese and Sarah are here." My brother said, I continued to lay on my bed and read. My phone went off and I placed my book down carefully, really not wanting to let it go. I picked up my phone, "Hello Gina," I didn't even have to look at the caller ID to know it was my friend. "Party tomorrow night, Jane's house, come on girl." I sighed, Jane was a girl who hated my guts, Lord knows why, I just go against everything she stands for. Skinny, popular, busty, skinny, tall, and athletic. Yes, I placed another "skinny" in there because that is how she explained it. And then there was me, not skinny, not popular, more busty than her, still not skinny, five one and a half, and not very athletic. "Can't, we have school Monday. Anyway, those parties reek of alcohol and marijuana." "It's legal in Washington, Einstein." Gina said, "for medical purposes only." I said plainly, "Sam, your such a killjoy. Come on, there will be cute guys there." "Since when have "cute guys" ever notice me? You go have fun. You can tell me how much I missed out on when you come back Tuesday or Wednesday." I said and she made kissy sounds and ended the call. I sighed and placed my phone down, my fingertips lingering on the screen, the photo of Gina and me smiling happily. I miss those days, when things were simple, none of this "cute guy" drama, or the pot, or the alcohol, it was just us against the world, until I felt her begin to drift from me.