"I wanted a whole army of them"

Lunch rolled around, slowly. Sam took her time, Warren left to go get a seat or something. I waited, "you do know you don't have to wait for me." She said standing up, yawning quietly. "I like to." I said and opened the door for her. We got to the lunchroom and she sat down next to Wil, Warren on the other side of him, I sat down next to Sam, she took out a granola bar and Wil clicked his tongue, "you need to eat more Sam." She gave a fake laugh and set the untouched granola bar down. "I really don't." She said and Wil tried to give her a strawberry, "no, dude, stop caring so much about how much I eat." She said, another guy came and sat down, he looked Sam's height but they looked nothing alike. "Mom was really pissed you forgot your lunch." He said, he must be Calvin. "She didn't forget, she purposely left it." Wil said, she sighed and took her stuff, "I have to go work on things, I'll see you soon Wil." She said and walked away, forgetting her granola bar. I picked it up along with my stuff and followed her. She went into the woodshop room and turned on the lights. I watched as she took off her sweater and had on a light camisole, she put goggles on and went over to the project area and took out the little mini catapult. I walked in and she jumped, I noticed there were tears in her eyes. "Sorry you had to hear that... I get that often... be more than ever..." she said and measured bits of wood. "I think you should eat more too." She shook her head, "I can't. It's not that I won't, but I can't, not around you, Warren, Wil, Gina, Jane, anyone. I can't." She said, she'd shoulders shook slightly as she sobbed, her back was turned to me. I wrapped her up into my arms and held her tight. "No one's around but us, and I won't tell." I said and she held tightly onto my shirt, "thank you David..." she said and took off the now fogged up goggles. I handed her the granola bar after I opened it for her. "So, this was who was making that catapult." I said and she shook her head, "it's a trebuchet, not a catapult, there's a difference." She said and fixed on the small wooden basket with a screwdriver. "Well, it's impressive. There's no girls in my class." She nodded, "yeah, I've heard. I'm the only girl here." She said and took a sharp intake. "Did you get a splinter?" I asked and took her hand, "yeah, but it's..." she trailed off as I began to suck her finger, getting the splinter out, spitting it into a tissue. She blushed and I chuckled, Sam it just too cute, innocent.

***

I continued to work after that, David watching closely at what I was doing, "so, how come you didn't do jewelry?" He asked, I looked at my hands, "my hands... they weren't really ment for welding fine pieces." I said, he took one of my hands, and spread my fingers out, my chipped dark blue nail varnish now embarrassed me, "they're rather slim, and long you have big hands but not in the sense your taking it." He said and held up his hand to mine, his dwarfed mine. He chuckled and held tightly to my hand, as if he'd loose me, but gently, as if I were made of porcelain.
"How's your other classes?" He gave a small smiled, "not as fun as the ones we share. I have this one girl, that Jane girl in English, or so she tells me." He said and I nodded, "well, she's..." I chewed my lip, "interesting in her own right." "I get the feeling she doesn't like you." He said and I nodded, "I go against her "no fat girls" code, apparently." I said with a shrug. "Not that I mind being called it." I said as the bell rung. David hugged me tightly. "I'll see you later?" I nodded, "if you can't find me, word of the wise, check the library." I said and he nodded before leaving.

I had started another trebuchet, I wanted a whole army of them, ranging in different sizes. Wil was busy making a bird condo... I think? After woodwork I went to the library to spend my free time. I began to organize my things when I felt like I was being watched. I stopped for a second but shook my head, not thinking of it. I pulled out my laptop and pulled up photos of roses in the rain, and photo editing inspirational quotes on them I created. I smiled and posted some of the funnier ones on Tumblr. "That's pretty cute." I heard David whisper in my ear. I turned, my eyes wide, I looked back and closed my monitor screen. "Don't stop, I thought it was adorable." He said and sat down, close to the bean bag I was sitting on. I moved over so he could sit down. "Uh... thanks..." I said and moved my hair out of the way. I was only half sitting on the bean bag, using my feet to keep me up. David noticed and pulled me closer, not letting go now. I squirmed in his hold. He just chuckled and let go, "alright Sweetheart, have it your way."