Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes as I made my way into the kitchen. I looked in the fridge finding some raw meat that someone must have let for me.

I grabbed it and began to eat it, it didn't taste as good compared to a fresh kill. Something about the fact that there is a lot more blood in the meat as well as it being warm and not cold.

I opened the door to let my father in. My father was smiling which was very odd. He had something in stall for me I could just tell. He never normally came to me smiling about nothing, he always seemed to have an agenda. I wonder if anything has changed since I was gone. He never really used to be hard on me until a few months before he sent me away.

I fell onto the couch while my father sat on the one opposite to me. I wore a puzzled expression on my face. I was trying to figure out what my father was up to but knowing my father I could be anything.

"Alright you can obviously tell that I have something planned," He started looking somewhat excited. "I thought that you might want to do some archery, it would certainly help your pack while hunting and well... I have always wanted to teach you," my father looked at me with an excited look spreading across his face. I almost couldn't believe what he asked of me, we never do anything like this at all along with the fact that he looks excited. I'm not sure whether to be happy or scared.

"Yeah sure, I don't see why not," I replied timidly. I have never thought about doing archery before but it sounded like it could serve a use to me. I don't think the opportunity would really come up again. I mean it's not everyday my father asks me such things as these. He's never really been interested in I guess you can call it 'father, son activities'.

We used to be civil but the few months before I was sent away it would be nothing but fighting between the both of us. It seems like he's trying to be a better father than he has been.

"Okay good, let's get started then," my father got up from the couch quickly ready to teach me. He seemed in a much better mood than he has been in since I last saw him. Once something horrible happened he was never really the same, something I don't like to talk about.

"Now? Alright give me a moment I need to get changed," I pushed myself out of the couch before I got too comfortable.

I ran to my closet and threw on the first clothes I had in my hand. I followed my father out of the door, hopefully this experience won't turn to crap just like everything else my father and I do. There was always a way for us to turn everything into a fight.

We walked up to a bright green open field where targets were lined up. There were people in the field who were currently practicing archery. It was crazy how most of them never even missed a target. All of them had precise precision. I was fascinated at how they could be so good.

I was beginning to become nervous. I don't like knowing that people could be watching me try something new. There was no way I would be born with the gift of naturally being good at archery. It was something you had to practice. We made our way to the free target on the far left of the field. I followed behind my father trying to shake off my nerves.

My father showed me how to string a bow, which wasn't too hard. It felt like the bow was going to somehow break as I strung it up. He showed me what position to stand in and how to shoot. Taking it all in I decided I would try myself.

I took an even stance loading up the bow. All in one action I aimed the bow, drew it back and released. I was surprised to find that I had got on the blue, I don't know how many points that was just yet but it was better than nothing at all.