Chapter : 02

"Spread those legs wide open for me so I can see what I'm devouring tonight,"

Chapter : 02

Red

"Ms. Lisa, Ms. Red, thank you for showing up today." Mr. Thomas said as he welcomed us in his office. 

"Thank you for having us," Lisa replied with a smile.

Mr. Thomas ticked something on his paper and then looked back up at Lisa. "You can collect your dress outside from Linda,"

"Okay! What is the date though?" She asked.

"This weekend, Friday evening. I expect to see you outside the cathedral, and you know the rules, right." Mr. Thomas asked.

"Of course!" Lisa then walked away, leaving me alone with Mr. Thomas.

"As for you, Red. How is your nana doing?" He asked as he turned his attention at me entirely.

"She's doing better. Her medications are showing improvement. The doctors said that she's healthier than before," I explained.

"That's amazing! Send her my blessings," Mr. Thomas said.

"I had a few questions..." I trailed off.

"Yes, I know. Don't worry, don't be scared. I know this is your first time," he said.

"Can I not participate this year? I'm not ready for it," I asked as I tried to keep my fragile control. It wouldn't take a moment for me to burst out in tears.

"Oh, Red, that's not in our control. It's a ritual, and all women above the age of 18 have to participate. It's a must. There is no loophole out of this. If you're mated with the creature, then you'll be taken. If not, then you have another year to enjoy!" Mr. Thomas explained.

"What happens to my nana if I'm mated to someone?" I asked the real question.

"Don't worry. She will be my responsibility if anything happens to you." He assured.

"What do I have to do?" I asked.

"As you must've seen, on the night of blood moon, you're supposed to get ready. A blindfold will be wrapped around your eyes, and you'll stand out the local cathedral. The creatures will come by; they won't touch you unless you are their mates. The choosing will go on for up till midnight." He explained carefully.

"And if I'm chosen?" A cold terror gripped my lips as I said that.

I don't want to be chosen.

"Then, you'll have to leave with your mate. It's up to the creature whether he wants you to see your family or not, but you'll have to obey him until death." Mr. Thomas continued.

A gasp escaped my throat as I heard that. Am I obeying someone till death?

"What if I don't like him? What if I don't want to be with him?"

"Mates have a natural bond, so you'll come around liking the creature," he quickly said.

"And what if I want to come back and visit nana. None of the girls have returned since they were gone," I argued.

"Red, that is not up to us. The creature decides the fate of his mate. Whatever he chooses is the best,"

I quiet down after that. The silence lingered in the room for the next couple of minutes. I had nothing else to ask Mr. Thomas.

"Don't be scared. Even if you're chosen, it will be your mate, creature, or not; you'll be destined to someone." He tried to comfort me, but it didn't work.

The entire thing was terrific. I just wanted to go back home and curl under my sheets until this all was over.

"Anyways, Red, you can leave now. The receptionist outside will give you your dress for the evening. Don't forget to be at the cathedral sharp at seven o'clock." Mr. Thomas said as he got up from his desk.

I nodded my head and silently walked away from his office.

The receptionist outside gave me a bag with a dress inside it. I didn't even bother to open it.

Worry spiraled in my thoughts as I walked around the town. After purchasing some bread and wine for the evening, I returned home to my nana.

"How was it?" She asked as she tried to get up from the bed. I dropped the bags on the floor and went to her.

I crumbled into her arms and cried, "Horrible! I don't have any other option, and I'm terrified. I don't want to leave you, nana."

"Oh, darling, calm down. You're so worried that it's frightening me."

"If I get chosen, then I'll have to go with him, regardless of anything." I continued while sobbing.

Nana patted my back, and her fingers brushed through my hair as she tried to comfort me.

"It's okay, just be nice to whoever it is and they won't harm you."

"They are wild creatures, Nana. They prey on us; we are their meals." I argued.

"Yes, I know, but a mate is a mate. A creature won't harm his other half," she said, sounding very assured.

I pulled away from Nana and wiped away my tears. "Was it like this when you turned 18?" I asked.

"Not entirely. At that time, the creatures used to come and take us away without any knowledge. Women were kidnapped and killed by so many of them," Nana explained.

"No one chose you?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Someone did, Red. Why else do you think you'd be alive?" She laughed.

I giggled while thinking about it all. Of course, someone did.

"Was it a creature?"

"Yes," she quietly replied.

"What happened then?"

"I ran away when I was very young. I didn't want a mate," she said.

"And he didn't hunt you down?"

"No, he left as well. He left the city and went somewhere else. I never heard about him again." She explained with a tear in her eyes.

"Did you love him?"

"Of course, he was my mate; I couldn't help but love him. However, he wasn't very loyal. He had mistresses, so that's the main reason why I ran away."

"Oh, Nana, I'm so sorry. Why didn't you ever mention?" I asked.

"I never found it valuable to waste my time talking about a man who was not a part of my life anymore," she shrugged.

I laid back down on her lap.

"I have two days, Nana. The blood moon is on this Friday," I whispered in the dark as the sun fell and the moon rose.

"I know," she patted my back. "I always know,"

Soon after that, we both fell asleep. The nightmares kept awake, though, but I was able to get some sleep.