Hailey

Hailey

School was over and it was time for me to go to detention, which I got almost everyday. I went into the familiar room and sat with the rest of my fosters, seeing all of us there was no surprise.

"What did you guys do?" I asked them.

"Same" Matt answered. "Beat the shit out of someone"

I nodded and Ryan spoke up.

"I just protested to a teacher"

"Why do people hate us?" I asked them.

"They don't understand what we go through" Nate replied putting his hand on my shoulder.

I looked at my hands as we waited for the principal to arrive.

"Okay Evans family" he said.

We all mumbled and he started the time for detention.

"Why is it always the Evans?" he asked himself.

"Maybe because this school is too dumb to realise that it's not 'The Evans' misbehaving, but the other students who start it" I said putting air quotes around our name.

"Ms. Evans, is there something you'd like to say?"

"Nothing that I already stated" I said smirking.

We sat there for an hour doing nothing. Our time was up and we headed out the door when the principal stopped me.

"Ms. Evans, may I speak with you" he told me.

"Sure" I said sitting in the desk in front of him.

"How is your foster care going?"

"Um-okay, I guess"

"Anything happening at home, with your foster parents?"

"No"

"Look, I can't have people like you causing trouble at my school"

"People like 'us'" I asked insulted.

"Ms-"

"No, just because we don't have a real family like other kids doesn't make us any different!" I yelled walking out of the room.

"Hello Evans" I heard Ian say behind me.

I walked faster trying to get away, but he kept following.

"Ian please" I begged.

He grabbed my wrist and dragged me in a room where he hit my face. I put my hand where his palm hit my skin. Then he kicked my knee, I stumbled on the floor. Whilst I was on the floor he kept kicking me. I groaned in pain trying to get up but only being pushed down again.

"That'll teach you orphans!" he spat walking out of the room.

I got to my feet and stumbled to the bathroom, I examined my bruises on my face and stomach. I groaned and cleaned my face. When I was done I pulled the hood of my sweater over my head.

I walked home and opened the door hoping my foster family won't see anything. I walked past the living area where everyone sat and sprinted to my room.

"Hailey?" Paul called.

I stopped in my tracks and walked backwards to the living area.

"Yes?" I said looking down.

"Sit"

I sat on the farthest side keeping the hood covering my face.

"How was school you guys?" Marylyn asked us.