Hailey

Hailey

"I'm glad I'm the first to tell you that" Harry said.

I smiled at him as he walked out and stopped at the door frame.

"Oh, and Hailey?" I turned to him and nodded once. "We have this dinner thing tonight. I would like to introduce you"

His warm eyes met mine and I nodded. Harry wanted to introduce me to everyone, well it depends on what he introduced me as. I could just be his friend for all I know.

*** *** ***

"Okay, you're ready" Gemma said tying the ribbon on my back. "Now look"

She turned me to face the mirror and I saw my reflection looking back at me. I gasped not recognizing the person in the mirror, it was just like when that lady Lou fixed me up for Harry's first party.

"It's perfect" I told Gemma leaning in closer to make sure this was reality.

"Thank you" Gemma said with a proud smirk on her face. "Now let's go or we're going to be late"

Harry drove all of us to the dinner, Louis sat next to me and smiled every so often. There was a moment when his hand brushed my thigh and we both shifted uncomfortably.

We walked into the massive dining room with a long table and chairs on either side. I inhaled deeply and walked to the table.

"Don't worry, you'll live" Niall whispered in my ear.

I chuckled and sat myself in between Harry and Louis. Louis awkward smiled at me and Harry pulled my chair closer to his. I glared at him asking what was wrong.

"Can't I sit next to my sister?" he said giving me a smirk.

I look at him, confused. I let it go and looked forward at the table, we were all waiting for two my people to come. The doors opened and two figures came in, my eyes widened to Ian and Valerie walking in with smug smiles on their faces. I looked over to Harry, he caught the worried look I had and rested his hand on my arm. I grabbed my fork and threw it to the floor.

"I'm sorry, excuse me" I said going under the table.

I crawled over until I saw the familiar white high tops, I tugged on Niall's trousers trying to get him down. When his leg just twitched I grunted and looked around. I found an abandoned napkin on the floor, I took a pen out of my purse thing and scribbled on the piece of paper.

Help! Old 'friends', please stall.

I shoved his leg and lifted my hand and put it in his hand. He took the napkin and unfolded it under the table and I hoped he was reading it, he gave me a thumbs up and I kept crawling to the end of the table. I heard Niall making conversation over the sound of plates clinking and cups being put down on the table. I almost made it when the cloth got caught on the hook of my dress pulling everyone's food along with me. I looked back in shock my mouth dropped open as everybody stared at me.

"Was that my fault?" I asked pulling the table cloth off my belt.

"What are orphan's doing at a dinner like this?" Ian spat.

Harry stood up from the table making it shake and glared at Ian.

"What did you just call her?" he asked gritting his teeth.

"You're not defending her, are you Harry?" Valerie said batting her eyelashes. "She's worthless"

I got up from the floor and stormed to her when,

"Don't talk to about her like that!" Louis yelled at Valerie.

I stopped in my tracks and looked at Louis, Valerie had a shocked look on her face.

"Why are you helping her, she's nothing but a petty little orphan who was abandoned at birth" Valerie shot back smirking at me.

I was snapped back to reality and walked to her and slapped her face and tackled her. I kept swinging and swinging when someone pulled me off.

"Hails, come one you're hurting her" Harry said into my ear.

"I don't care!" I exclaimed trying to get out of his grip.

"Security!" a woman yelled running out of the room.

I stopped squirming in Harry's arms hoping that lady didn't go get the security guards.

"Come on, lets go" Niall said to me pulling my arm.

We ran down the stairs of the building and out the door, I got in front of him and looked back to find the red and blue lights. I turned my face back to the front and continued running, Niall took my arm and pulled me into a small corner store. The bell dinged and the smell of pancakes filled the air.

"Over here" Niall said walking me over to the bar table. Niall ordered us some coffee and turned to face me.

"Are you always getting yourself into trouble like this?" he asked giving me a grin.

I smiled and looked down at my coffee "Often actually"

"Why do you still do it?"

"To defend myself I guess, I don't know"

"Why would you have to defend yourself?" he asked drinking his coffee.

"I've always had to take care of myself, which meant standing up to people who threatened me. That's what it was lie for my fosters as well"

"You didn't have anyone else to help you?" he asked trying to get eye contact with me.

"No my foster parents were either at work or trying to pay our bills"

"What about friends?"

"I didn't have any friends, my only company were my brothers"

I looked up to see if he had gotten up and left me stranded there, but no he was still there.

"You do now" he said taking another sip of his drink. I looked a him confusion in my eyes "I'll be your best friend" he smiled warmly.

I looked into his eyes to see if he was lying. "Really?"

"Yeah, of course"

I smiled and drank the warm liquid in my hand "I've never had a best friend before"

"Now you have me" he told me putting his arm on my shoulder

________________________________

Picture of Hailey's dress on the side --> or in the book settings if you're reading from a phone.