03 | Shopping Trip From Hell

Chapter Three

"I got it." Damon demanded, as he and Bonnie elbowed one-another for the shopping buggy.

Having heard enough of Dumb and Dumber's arguing in the supermarket, I cleared my throat, gaining their attention.

"We need strawberries, eggs, milk, and-" I listed,

"-Oh! And candles." Bonnie interrupted, generously placing a white candle in the cart.

"I know it's been a while, but you couldn't do magic as an anchor, so I'm curious what momentary lapse of reason makes you think you can do it now?" Damon piped up, rolling us forward.

"You know, when all this started, you sucked at making pancakes, and now they're somewhat edible." Bonnie shrugged.

"Milk." I shouted, as we continued down the isles. "And truthfully, I've always enjoyed your pancakes, Damon."

He shot me a small smile.

"Though they are sometimes a little too crisp on the bottom.." I brought my thumb and forefinger together. "Maybe just work on that?"

His smile quickly faded as he grabbed the milk, and Bonnie strolled over to the sunglass rack.

"There's no reason to be Peter Pessimist, alright? We have proof we're not alone." she perked,

"First of all, don't nickname. That's my thing." Damon chided, grabbing a pair of shades. "And this proof..this mysteriously filled in crossword, could very easily have been either one of you."

"We didn't fill it in." Bonnie and I defended in unison.

"No, you don't know that you filled it in." Damon motioned between us before settling on Bonnie. "You also don't know that you talk in your sleep.."

"Eggs." I ordered, progressing on the list. "Hey..if she subconsciously fills out crossword puzzles..what do I do?"

"Wh- Damon, what are you saying" Bonnie argued, grabbing a carton of eggs while Damon tossed his sunnies into the cart.

"I'm just saying..it makes more sense than the alternative." he grabbed the eggs, dropping them carelessly atop the glasses. "And Cassidy, you unknowingly mutter about your lack of a significant other.."

"I get what you're doing," Bonnie's eyes grew narrow.

"What am I doing?" Damon gibed.

"You refuse to have hope that you'll see Elena again, so you don't have to be disappointed when it doesn't happen." Bonnie concluded.

"I refuse to have hope 'cause there's nothing to hope for." Damon proclaimed.

My eyes locked on the end-shelf as we rounded the corner, expecting to come face-to-face with a stack of porky-treats.

"Pork rinds." I stated with an open mouth, staring at the empty shelves of which consistently held dozens of multicolored bags.

Bonnie and Damon both paused and shared a glance, snatching the list from my fingers. "Not on the list, and ew."

"No- there were pork rinds here. On this shelf..there have been pork rinds on this shelf, on every shopping trip we've had for the past four months." my voice rose as I continued and Damon's face filled with skepticism.

Bonnie narrowed her eyes, opening her mouth to contribute until carnival music filled our ears.

"What the hell is that?" she roughly questioned, the three of us exchanging looks.