25 | 1903: Part II

Chapter Twenty-Five

Bonnie leads Kai and myself through the woods, still in search for the ascendant.

"The spell feels stronger. The ascendant must be around here somewhere." she assures.

"Why the hell would it be in the woods?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows.

"I don't know, I didn't put it here." Bonnie spat.

"If you don't think I'm capable of change, why spend an entire day with me? Why bring me out into the middle of nowhere?" Kai erupts, causing Bonnie to stop walking. "I could gut you all over again. Your friends would never even hear you scream."

My face drops, causing me to grip his hand tighter.

Bonnie sighs and turns to face him. "For starters, I doubt you'd do anything in front of Cassidy..seeing as you two-"

"Bonnie.." I caution, shaking my head, until she looks back at Kai.

"Or because maybe you're right." Bonnie addresses. "Maybe, deep down, there's a part of me that believes there's a sliver of good in you."

Kai chuckles. "And, you'd be right!" he beams, releasing my hand as he walks past Bonnie.

He narrows his eyes, scanning the snow for the ascendant. "Looking, looking, and..nope. They didn't hide the ascendant in a random pile of-" Kai gasps, falling to the ground, gasping on pain as he was suddenly stabbed in the back with Bonnie's hunting knife.

"Kai!" I scream, going to race over to him, until Bonnie swipes her hand to the side, sending me flying into a tree.

I let out a grunt, attempting to regain my balance as Kai tries to crawl away from Bonnie before she grabs him, stabbing him in the back of his leg.

"Bonnie!" I shout with Kai.

Bonnie flips him over, straddling him so he can't move, fear filling his face. "What are you doing?" he chokes.

"Gaining your trust, and then stabbing you in the back. Feels pretty sucky, doesn't it?" Bonnie barks, unstably holding her knife.

"Bonnie!" I repeat, vamp-speeding over to her, throwing her off of Kai as I pin her to a tree. "You need to calm down."

Bonnie's jaw tightened before she stabbed me in the stomach, causing me to let out a cough as blood poured from my mouth, and I collapsed to my knees.

"Please, don't." Kai pleads, as Bonnie tears her knife from my abdomen, storming over to him.

"Don't what? Don't- don't leave you here? All alone? Drive you to the point of wanting to end your own life?" Bonnie asserts, losing her temper, raising her voice. "I almost killed myself because of you!"

I held my stomach, choking on my own blood.

"Please- please, believe me! I've changed!" Kai pleads, genuinely terrified.

Bonnie holds the knife up above her head, gritting her teeth. "I know. I know. So have I."

"Bonnie, no!" I scream as she goes to finish Kai off, until all of a sudden, he vanishes.

Kai's cloaking spell caused Bonnie's knife to plummet straight into the ground, where she frantically began looking around for him.

I lightly smiled until my eyes met with Bonnie's.

"What-" I choked. "What the hell is your problem."

I wiped my mouth, holding my stomach before I lifted my shirt to see that my wound had already healed over.