16 | Twins

Chapter Sixteen

As I continued wandering around, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my hand, watching as a small amount of blood began to ooze out of the slice before it quickly healed over, leaving a stain.

"Come on- come on.." I growled, searching the town for any sign of Kai and Jo.

I groaned as I collided with someone, quickly muttering an apology before I looked up.

"Cassidy?" Luke questioned, rubbing his head after our collision.

"Wha- Luke? What the hell are you doing out here?" I asserted,

"I could ask the same of you." his eyes trailed down to my bloody hand. "What happened there?"

"Uh.." I stammered, unable to come up with a lie quick enough, causing Luke's face to drop.

"We gotta find them. Fast." he acknowledged, continuing onward. "Do you have either of their scents? A way of finding them quicker?"

I held a finger to my mouth, stopping him from moving any farther. "There they are..in the center of Whitmore Park." I nodded.

"So, are we gonna be like spies and zipline in, or are we just gonna waltz in and call the shots-" I pondered, as Luke began walking towards Jo and Kai.

I let out a groan, trying to reach for my back as a sharp pain erupted. "Keep in mind, we're kind of linked.." I quietly called out after Luke as he made his way towards Kai.

'Why would I link myself with Jo,' you might ask?

Well, it's called a 'Life-force binding spell,' which basically means that although Jo will die when she loses the merge, my life will be sacrificed for hers, allowing her to magically come back to life so we don't mess with the forces of nature.

However, I didn't think about the flaws in my plan, such as: Jo's soul will be merged with Kai's, creating one single person in Kai's body. So, when she dies and comes back to life, who's soul would be in her body?

"Dangit." I hiss, mentally slapping myself.

It took me so long to memorize the linking spell, I hadn't exactly looked into the unlinking spell.

"Don't die, Jo. I've totally had faith in you this entire time. Just give it your all, and win the merge." I lightly cheered.

Luke raises his arm at Jo, sending her flying a few feet away before she faints.

"What the hell did you just do?" Kai shouts to Luke,

"Oh, I just gave my sister a little knock on the head, but don't worry she'll be fine. Because I'm gonna merge with you." Luke affirmed, causing Kai to erupt with laughter.

"What?" I shout, before my eyes widen, and I cover my mouth, ducking behind a tree.

Kai pats Luke on the cheek, until Luke slaps his hand away, and I round the corner.

"Luke, you can't be serious.." I announce, storming over to them.

"Cassidy?" Kai's eyebrows furrow as he looks down at my hand, and Luke swipes his hand at me, throwing me back into a tree.

"Ow.." I spit, fixing my hair as I regain my balance.

Kai averts his attention turns back over to Luke. "You really want to merge with me? Look, I hate to break it to you, little brother, but we're not twins, all right? That's not how this is supposed to work." Kai addresses.