10 | Three Seconds

Chapter Ten

Shortly after I left the cemetery, I lost Kai.

I have no idea where he went, or what his intentions were, but I lost him. Which means that he gets another point.

Cassidy - 0, Kai - 31

It is now the day after I lost him, and I entered the Whitmore bar, scanning the area for Elena and Damon.

I instantly spotted them at a table surrounded by a bunch of old books.

"Well, we haven't looked hard enough. Let's get to it." Damon affirmed, continuing his previous conversation.

"Hey. There's my favorite, and only, sister." I announce with a smile, leaning over Elena's shoulder.

"Hey, Cassidy." she chuckles,

I skim over all of the books, grabbing one at random. "So, what exactly are you guys doing?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Just researching the ascendant- thingy." she replies, causing me to nod.

"Hm..." I sigh. "Well, if it's any consolation, I'm here now."

I take a seat at their table, "And even though we're ecstatic to have you back.." Damon chimes in, shooting me a faux-smile. "You would be a tad more useful if you helped us, or found Kai. Either one works for me."

"Yeah, well I still have no idea where he is. I haven't heard from Jo all day- which probably isn't a good sign...now that I say it out loud." I bite my lip, and begin to slowly flipping through the pages of one of the books.

"She's probably with-" Elena starts, but she stops when her phone starts buzzing. She raises her eyebrows, quickly picking up her cell. "Hello, Ric."

"Have you seen Jo?" Alaric badgers over the phone.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Is she not with him?" I whisper, receiving a shrug from Elena.

"No, not since yesterday." she replies into the phone, earning a sigh from Ric. "We thought she was with you,"

"Why?" Damon perks.

Once Ric told us that literally nobody has heard from, or seen Jo anywhere, we had Elena ask around the hospital. After she did that, and received no helpful answers, we went to Ric's place.

"So, I asked around the hospital. No one's seen Jo since last night at the ER. A bunch of stab victims came in, and one of them's missing as well." Elena slowly paced the living-room with her arms across her chest.

"It was Kai." Alaric accused, sitting on the arm of the couch. "Jo knew he'd come after her, and he did."

"Not to give you boyfriend lessons or anything, but if you knew Jo's whack-job brother was out on the loose and after her, don't you think that keeping an eye on her would've been a smart move?" he proposed from his relaxed position on the couch.

"And what would you have had me do, Damon. Ask you to compel Jo to stay put?" Alaric hissed, as Damon offered a look of agreement.

"Well- technically he wouldn't be able to compel her. I mean, she's a witch, so.." I chimed in, causing everyone to pause and stare. "Yeah- I'm just gonna.." I finish, pointing towards Alaric's couch.

I sat down as Elena spoke up again. "Guys, if Kai has Jo, we need a plan."

"Plan's easy. Find Kai, ffft," Damon motions a knife slitting someone's throat. "Kill Kai."