17 | A Brand New Kai

Chapter Seventeen

After I frosted the remaining cupcakes I'd just baked, I added a few final touches to the cupcake-display stand.

"Wow. Great job, little Gilbert." Damon pipes up, entering the kitchen.

I lick some excess frosting off my fingers as I remove my apron, slinging it over a kitchen chair. "Yeah, you probably had no idea I could bake.."

Damon opened his mouth to speak again, until I cut him off.

"And you'd be right, because I can't. Elena put me and Caroline on food duty, which I would normally have no problem with..if I didn't actually have to do anything." I concluded, propping myself on a bar-stool as I unwrapped a cupcake.

"Happy Birthday, Bon-Bon.." Damon mumbled, looking down at the cupcakes.

I continued munching on my cupcake as Elena walked in.

"Hi." Elena breathed, placing a brown bag of groceries on the counter.

"Ooh.." she smiled, sitting beside me, nodding to the cupcake in my hand. "Are we allowed to sneak one before the party?"

"No-" I started,

"I think Cassidy might rip our hearts out if we tried." Damon cut me off, snatching his own cupcake anyway.

I gave him a glare as I continued eating my cupcake, and he held his hand with the cupcake out, allowing Elena to take a bite. "That's a risk I'm willing to take." she grinned, licking some frosting from her lips, causing me to out a groan in annoyance.

"Come here.." Damon muttered, wiping some chocolate from Elena's lip with his thumb, popping it into his own mouth.

"You know, we never talked about.." Elena started, as she stared up at Damon. "The fact that you kissed me."

"You did what?" I spat my cupcake across the countertop, gaining their attention. "Sorry.."

"Well, you kissed me back." Damon pointed out.

"Yeah.." Elena trailed off,

"I know." Damon argued. "That's the whole point of kissing, so you don't have to talk about it.."

"Right." Elena nodded. "Well, I just wanted you to know that..I'm good with that."

I narrowed my eyes as I looked back and forth between the two.

"Yeah?" Damon questioned.

"Yeah, we're- we're good." Elena motioned to the space in front of her, before a smile found its way onto her face. "Really good."

"Is this the talk?" Damon beamed.

"Pretty much." Elena confirmed, as my eyes remained narrow.

"Perfect." Damon smiled, before he kissed her.

"God, somebody kill me now." I groaned, tossing my cupcake wrapper onto the counter.

Damon and Elena continued kissing before a voice interrupted them. "Hello." Kai called out, waltzing through the front door.

"Yes." I exclaimed, at the same time my sister complained, "No."

"That's impossible, because why would he-" Elena started,

"He didn't. He's all merged, he's packed, and he's on his way to Portland!" Damon spoke up, his voice growing louder as he continued.