13 | Highschool Sucks

Chapter Thirteen

Fifteen minutes or so after Damon and I called Alaric, Jo arrived at the school.

We were currently wondering around the halls, cloaked of course, in search of Elena.

"Just working on my self control..." Kai's voice echoes.

"I can hear Kai." I whisper,

"Yeah, me too." Damon hisses.

"What's he saying?" Jo questions, as I turn to Damon for an answer.

"He said, it's a shame you don't have vamp-hearing." Damon sarcastically replied, causing me to snort.

"I get why you don't like me, y'know? You and Alaric were bros..." Jo starts, before I quickly place a hand over her mouth, listening to our surroundings.

I hear them.

Footsteps.

And they aren't ours.

Jo swats my arm away, and continues bickering with Damon.

I narrow my eyes, shooting the both of them a glare as I pause in the hallway-doorframe, extending my arms to stop Damon and Jo.

Kai suddenly turns the corner suspiciously, sipping a can of soda.

I know he heard Jo and Damon whispering.

A cloaking spell just makes us invisible, it doesn't render us silent.

Jo and Damon instantly stop moving, and my throat tightens up.

Kai stares straight through me, directly into my eyes.

I know he can't see me, but right now it certainly feels like he can.

After another second of staring, he waltzes over to the recycling bin beside Jo, throwing away his soda.

"Okay..." he mutters, turning around, walking away from us again.

After he leaves our range of sight, Jo speaks up. "What do you know...it's working."

"Huh. I didn't take him as the 'environmentally caring' type.." I let out a laugh, looking between Jo and Damon before I begin walking in the direction that Kai came from.

That's got to be where he's keeping Elena..

I watch from behind Damon as he kneels beside Elena, untying her ropes.

My face contorts as she struggles in the vervain-laced knots, her skin burning.

Damon unties the ropes, and her expression changes.

He then grabs her hand, causing her to look up at him in shock, joining us in the invisibility department.

"Hey." Damon lightly smiles,

"How are you guys here right now?" Elena joys.

"Jo's invisibility spell. If you can see us that means you've joined the party." Damon acknowledges.

"Come on, we need to get out of here.." Jo wearily speaks up, before Elena holds out her hand.

"My- my ring. It's gone. Kai melted it into nothing." she erupts.

"What?" Damon spat, grabbing her hand to inspect it.

"I hate to cut this reunion short, but..meter's running on this spell." Jo addresses, causing me to avert my attention over to her, and away from my sister.