20 | Goodbye Jeremy

Chapter Twenty

After I followed my sister's instructions by helping Jeremy pack, the two of us raced downstairs where Elena was just finishing up a phone-call.

"Yeah thanks for letting me know, just call me if there's any other updates, okay?" Elena offered, as Jeremy and I exchanged a look.

"Yeah...I love you, bye." Damon's voice spoke from the other end of the phone.

"Bye." Elena hung up, twirling the phone between her fingers.

"What happened? Sheriff okay?" I badgered, as Jeremy and I stood in the foyer.

"Ah, you weren't supposed to hear that.." Elena breathed, turning around to face us. "Damon said she's getting worse."

"I can't leave now, no way. Not with the Sheriff sick, and Enzo on a rampage." Jeremy avowed, as I rose my eyebrows.

"Whoa, slow down Jeremy. You're going." I defensively held out my hand, leaning closer. "By the way..Enzo wouldn't be on a rampage if it weren't for you and Matt." I whispered, before slowly spinning around, strolling over to Elena.

"Look, it's just not the right time.." Jeremy argued, walking into the living room as the front door opened.

"No kidding." Elena scoffed. "The right time was a couple of years ago. Enzo could've killed you today-"

"-Which would've been his own fault." I clarified, before she rolled her eyes.

"Let's not forget the time that you actually died, Jer." Elena addressed.

"She's right." Alaric announced, leaning against the hallway-frame. "It's time to get the hell out of here."

I groaned, extending my arms. "Take me with you." I whined.

Elena let out a laugh. "You deserve a normal life, Jer. Both of you do. But until Cassidy finds out what exactly it is she wants to do..it's your turn. You deserve the life of a kid whose only baggage is that he lost his parents." Elena acknowledged, taking a step forward. "Come on, let's get you back to the airport."

Alaric stopped us from moving any farther. "Actually, why don't you let me take him. You girls should be with Liz." Ric affirmed.

Elena and I exchanged a glance before Jeremy chimed in. "I'll call you when I get to the airport, and when I land." he assured.

"And in a couple days..expect an SUV-sized package from me." Elena hinted, causing my eyes to widen.

"He's getting your car?!" I erupted. "I wanna go to art school!"

"You're seriously giving me your car?" Jeremy questioned.

"Just, don't crash it..okay?" Elena pleaded, before Jeremy wrapped her in a hug. "Get in here, Cassidy." she smiled, and I reluctantly joined the group-hug.

"I love you guys.." I mumbled, as my eyes began to water.

"I love you too." Elena added,

"Me too." Jeremy chimed in, before we all pulled apart.

I sniffled, lightly slapping his shoulder. "Go off to art school, would ya? I'll just be here..sobbing in our town square over how much I'm going to miss you every day." I fake-cried, earning a laugh from Jeremy, Elena, and Ric.

"I know how much Enzo will miss you." I whispered, causing his face to fall before we shared another laugh.