19 | Case Closed

Chapter Nineteen

As we pulled up to the Forbes' cabin, I sighed.

Stefan was dragging me along with him and Caroline for a reason I was completely unaware of, because Elena just so happened to convinced him that it would be a great idea for me to join the both of them.

I should be spending my brother's last day in town, with my brother, not Caroline and Stefan.

I slid out of the backseat of the car, closing the door behind me as Stefan opened the trunk.

"If you really think about it, Jeremy is leaving for the best. I mean, I'm sure everything around him reminds him of Bonnie. And Elena's always wanted to protect him from vampire drama." Caroline rambled, as the three of us stood behind the car, peering into the trunk. "Granted, he is going to art school, where the percentage rate for a well-paying job is one of the lowest in the country, but I really am happy for him."

I looked over to Caroline with a raised eyebrow and folded arms.

"Right...Cassidy's here. Forgot." she stated, as her mouth formed a straight line.

"Hm- Uh, do you think you packed enough?" I chime in, pointing to all of the boxes in the trunk.

A smile formed on Caroline's face. "The whole point of this is for my mom to live out the rest of her time here in a relaxed and peaceful environment surrounded by the things that she loves..like photo albums, and board games." Caroline suggests, as Stefan and I each grab a few boxes.

"'The Anthology of Shakespeare: Volumes 1 through 12'?" Stefan reads, as we carry the boxes to the house.

"All the books that she's never gotten around to reading." Caroline informs with a smile.

Before I can complain anymore, Stefan's cellphone begins ringing.

"You gonna get that?" I furrow my eyebrows, nodding to Stefan's pocket as I walk up the stairs to the cabin.

"Uhm, well, I-" he sighs. "Caroline can you just- can you get it?"

My eyes widen as I raise my eyebrows, stopping at the front-door.

"Oh yeah.." Caroline stammers, making her way over to him.

"Sorry...I just-" Stefan mutters,

"No, yeah..I um.." Caroline continues stuttering, fumbling around in the front pocket of Stefan's jeans. "Oh..sorry."

"Yeah..it's okay." Stefan mumbles, until Caroline finally pulls the phone out of his pocket.

"Jesus christ.." I close my eyes, shaking my head as I walk inside.

"Got it!" Caroline announces from outside, causing me to mentally slap myself.

Stefan enters the house with his boxes a few seconds later. "So, who was the oh-so-lucky person on the other end of that phone?" I joked, as he walked into the bedroom, coming out with empty hands.

"Uh, Liz." Stefan responds, as I continue unboxing some of the picture-frames.

"Oh.." I breathe. "So, when exactly are you gonna take her out on a date?"

Stefan chokes on his laughter. "I don't think Liz would be interested.."

"Oh, don't play stupid." I narrowed my eyes. "It's obvious that Caroline likes you, and you know she does. I think if you like someone, you should just go for it.."