Chapter 10

What Perry said was on my mind all night and all the first half of school. Lunch came, and I took my seat next to Alex, poking my food, not feeling very hungry.

"You okay?" Alex asked, rubbing my lower back. I shake my head no.

"I think I'm going to go home" I say, and stand up, beginning to walk away without saying goodbye to Alex.

"O-Okay" Alex says, disappointed and worried.

I hurry out of the school without another word. Speeding off on my bike, I get home and put my key in the flower pot next to my front door, where I always keep it. Then I crawl into bed, just wanting to do nothing.

So I lay there, staring at the ceiling until I find sleep and I nap.

"Tobin" A voice says, hazy in my mind. "Tobin" They say again. "Tobin wake up" I open my eyes and look at them as they come into focus.

"Alex?" I say, confused. "How..how'd you get in?"

"I saw the silver of the key in the flower pot. You really need to find another place to put it" Alex smiles.

"Okay" I say.

Man, I feel so empty. Why?

Alex frowned. She must've known what I was thinking about.

"Are you okay?" Alex asks.

"Me? I'm...fine I guess" I sigh, closing my eyes.

"Tobin" Alex groaned. "That wasn't convincing"

"Sorry" I say, eyes still closed. There's silence.

"Tobin, you're making me worry" Alex says.

"Why?" I open my eyes.

"Well let's start by saying that you didn't talk much at all to anyone and the only conversation we had was at lunch for two seconds then you left school" Alex said. "I'm going to ask again. What's going on with you?"

I take a deep breath.

"So after you left last night, Perry said something. She's got something against you and what she said just kind of stuck in my mind" I sigh.

"What did she say?" Alex asked.

"I don't know how, but she knew about you going to the bar without me. She said if you do that alone without me, you might be doing other stuff too" I say.

"So your sister thinks I'm cheating on you?" Alex asks, offended. "And you believe her?"

"She does have that thought. And no I don't believe her. I don't want to" I say.

"Is this because of the bar, and that girl?" Alex asks, grabbing my hand. I nod. "Tobin, you shouldn't worry about me doing anything like that. I love you so much, and I would never cheat on you. I would never be able to handle knowing that I hurt you"

"Thanks Lex. It's comforting to hear that" I smile, and she squeezes my hand, and crawls in bed with me.

I still don't feel right. Something is off, and I can't put my finger on it.