Chapter 41

I opened my eyes.

Homicide.

What a big word.

A big, deadly word, for a big and deadly world.

I told her to leave and go back.

She had said it wasn't a good idea, but left anyways. I needed time to mourn. He was such an innocent guy, it killed me to know how he ended up.

"At least you're going to stay safe, right Soldier?" I whisper, running my finger along the edges of his tombstone. So young. So innocent. So fragile. I killed him. My carelessness was the end of him.

They say the building exploded with him in it. He burned to death. They could hardly recognize him.

"Right, Captain" His voice echoes. I look around, and see a shimmering image of him, the night he put me on the boat and decided to go back and finish the job.

"Quincy?" I hardly choked his name out.

He nods once.

"But you're dead" I say, and almost start crying.

He nods again, with a small smile.

"Don't stop doing whats right, T" He says.

"I...I wont" I breathe.

He salutes me, and I blink. When I open them, he's gone.

"H-How?" I question. How did I see him?

I must be going crazy.

I groaned and lightly tapped my head against the tombstone.

"Quincy James. May you rest in peace" I whisper, and stand up, brushing myself off and making my way to my car.

In the car, I drive home quickly.

I needed to be home, so I don't see him again.

Inside, Alex smiled and walked over to me. She embraced me. I smiled and hugged her back.

"I know this is hard for you" Alex whispers in my ear. I nod.

"He was a good guy, Lex. You should have met him" I whisper, and she sighs.

"Maybe one day" She says.

"I forbid you to meet him anytime soon" I say, and she laughs lightly.

Today wasn't a day for laughs, but it still made me feel a bit better hearing her laugh.

I open my mouth to tell her about the graveyard encounter with Quincy, but I remember long ago when I told her about seeing my dad and she thought I was crazy. I cant tell her, not yet.

"Is there something bothering you?" She asks me.

"Yes" I say. I don't want to lie too much to her. No more secrets.

"Whats wrong Toby?" Alex asks. We sway lightly, dancing with no music at all.

"Well, I feel like Quincy's death was my fault" I sigh. "After all, I fell off the roof and he had to go back and get me. If I had just died, then he could blow the building to bits from a ways out. He wouldn't have to go back in and get killed like that" I spill.

"No, its not your fault. Dont think that way" She says. "No one saw it coming" She says. I nod my head.

"I guess not" I mumble.

"Of course it's not your fault. Quincy...he made a choice. That choice ultimately cost him his life, and that's on him. His death has no relation towards you" Alex kisses my cheek. "Now come on, let's watch a movie"