Chapter 37

Alex went as fast as she could to the nearest hospital. We jumped out of the car, and hurried as fast as we could into the hospital, asking right away for our friends.

"Is there a Julie Johnston here?" I ask the lady, breathless. She takes her time, looking it up on the computer. I tapped my fingers on the front desk. "Excuse me ma'am, we're in a bit of a rush" I say, very impatient.

She just gave me a look and continued on her pace.

"Room A403" The lady said.

Alex took off before I could blink. She darts down the halls, me rolling at her heels. Alex ran into the door, falling backwards. I laughed a light hearted laugh, tugging her to her feet.

"The door opened too slowly" She grumbled, dusting herself off. Then someone opens the door from the inside. They're red nosed and puffy eyed.

"CP" I whisper, and she hugs me, not letting me go. I have to lift her up and carry her into the room, Alex already walked past us.

"Julie" Alex said, hurrying to the defender's side, and sitting on the hospital bed. Christen had finally let go of me, and I sat down next to Alex at Julie's side. She was battered up pretty well. Bruises up and down her arms, and three bandages on one arm, tinted pink. Julie's face was a little torn up, her bottom lip blood red and the top of her head bandaged. She has an IV drip linked to her arm.

"How...how did this happen?" I ask Christen, who sat with her face in her hands.

"I don't even know" Christen said, obviously stuffed up. "I got a call from JJ in the hospital, she called me just before her operation. She just got out of the operation a couple minutes before you two ran into the door" Christen said that last part with a small smile.

"For the record, it was Alex who ran into the door" I say, and Alex gives me a pointed look while Christen just laughs a little.

"Wait a minute...operation for what?" I ask, frowning.

"Her leg" Christen sighs. "Nerve damage. She'll be able to play soccer again, but in six months. Rehab will take a long time" Christen tells me. Alex got up and sat next to her, putting her arm around Christen's shoulders. She leaned into Alex's chest.

"I know this is hard for you, Christen" Alex said. Tears glistened in Christen's eyes. "I went through the same thing, except Tobin was out cold for a long time" She told Christen. "I'm going to tell you one thing, and its this:keep moving forward. Life is going to throw many obstacles at you, and your and JJ's relationship. But you just have to power through it. This is going to benefit you in the long run, and you're gonna be okay after all this is over" Alex sighed.

I smiled at her and nodded. She smiled at me.

"You just gotta keep your head up and instead of saying 'why me,' you gotta say 'try me'. You're such a strong girl. This is going to be okay in some time" Alex said.

"Hey Christen, when does JJ wake up?" I ask her.

"Soon. Maybe in five minutes" Christen sighs. "Do you think we should tell the girls?" Christen asked.

Alex and I exchanged a glance.

"If you're comfortable with it, then go for it. But this is all your decision" Alex tells her. She takes a deep breath and calls someone, talking to them. Alex and I sit on a little couch there, and I run circles on her thigh with my thumb. "Do you think she'll be okay?" Alex asked.

"Who JJ?" I ask.

"No, Christen" Alex hisses at me sarcastically. I put my hands up in surrender.