Chapter 16: Feelings? Nah.

Zayn's POV.

Lindsay was breath taking. The dress hugged her curves perfectly and I felt proud of myself. She was my girlfriend, and I was taking her out tonight. Nothing could get better than this.

I held out my arm for her, and she wrapped her arm around mine. I walked her out of to my car, holding onto her. She was clinging on tightly, and I promised myself I wouldn't let her fall. Opening the passenger door for her, I helped her in. I put in the ends of her dress in the seat, not wanting to shut the door on the precious material. 

I ran to the other side of the car, trying to get to the restaraunt before any cameras arrived. Not that I wouldn't mind. Individually we looked good, together we were amazing. I jingled the keys in my hand before placing it in the ignition.

I heard the roar of the enginge come to life and I backed out of the driveway. Lindsay was looking straight ahead, and I immediately knew something was wrong.

I stroked her upper arm,"You alright?"

She nodded and focused her eyes back on the road. I gave that my cue to give up and drop the conversation. It was obvious she didn't want to talk about it. But it was making me worry. She screamed my name, at the top of her lungs. It was a night mare, and she wanted me to save her. But I couldn't save her if she wouldn't tell me what was bothering her.

I shrugged it off. Focusing my thoughts back onto tonights dinner. The place was supposed to be really expensive and classy, or so I heard. I was actually pretty excited.

I cleared my throat,"Phil said you are staying over at my place tonight. And the paparrazzi are going to be here as well." Her expression was still blank. I'd talk to her later about the topic.

"That's fine. Can I wear some of your clothes tonight though?" Her voice was tiny and soft, it came out as a whisper. I barely heard it.

I nodded, turning the steering wheel left to our destination,"Sure."

I pulled up to the front door and gave the key to the man dressed in uniform. After helping Lindsay out, all eyes were on her. I wrapped my arm around her waist, not for the people, but for myself. The clicking of cameras went off and I knew they had beat us here. We posed for a few photos before I rushed us inside.

My nose was filled with the sweet smell of bread. Everything smelt so delicious in here. My mouth had already began to water. We were escorted to our table in a matter of seconds, it seated two. The white cloth hang off of it delicately and single candle was lit in the middle. Two wine glasses were set, along with a glass of water. Two plates on each side, one larger than the other; to the side of it our silverware. It was very classy as Phil would say.

I pulled the chair out for her to sit, and she gave me a small thank you. I sat across from her, placing the napkin into my shirt. Older couples were seated around us, all enjoying nice talk. I wish it wasn't awkward right now. Only because of what happened an hour ago, the mood is just set off.

"You look really nice, tonight. You cleaned up good." I looked up at her to see she was joking, a smile playing at the edge of her lips. She held the menu in her hands and I grabbed mine as well.

"Ha, ha. Very funny." She scrunched her nose and began scimming the menu. I did too, and after 5 minutes of deciding what we want, I called the waiter over to place our orders.

Between ordering and our meals, it wasn't all that bad. Conversation was light and I was actually liking her company. Which was a first for me, hopefully for her too. 

She excused herself to the bathroom and I watched her walk off. Everyone was dressed as fancy as her, some even more, but only Lindsay looked amazing. It sounds cheesy just thinking about it. I sound like a hopeless romantic probably. 

A little tap turned my body around and I saw a little girl, around the age of 5 or 6, smile up at me. Her eyes were glowing and she was just too adorable. Her mother soon came and got her but I stopped her before she could move.

"She's a huge fan." Her mom laughed. I smiled at her and kissed her cheek, which sent her squealing. I chuckled and handed the lady my phone. I wanted a picture of the two of us as well. Lindsay returned shortly after the girl left and she smiled at me the whole time.

Right when our food came, I had the courage to face her,"What are you smiling at?" 

She began to cut into her chicken,"I saw you and the girl. That was adorable." I smiled in defeat and shoved a spoonful of corn into my mouth. The butter literally melted off my tongue and I moaned in delight. Amazing.

We didn't talk much, both of our attentions focused onto our foods. Just as I was chewing my last bite of steak, the waiter came up and gave us our check. That I would pay for. She tugged at one end of the black book and I held onto the other. I just sipped my water while she tried to get it into her own hands. 

Finally after figuring out it was no use, she let go and I smiled,"Winner!" I yelled. It earned a few stares from the other tables but I ignored it. I saw that I had embaressed her. Score.

I opened the book up and choked on my water. The price was outrageous. I could afford it but it was still very high. 197.62 to be exact. I handed the man my credit card and in a short few more minutes, we were heading back out to my car. 

When the sliding glass opened, camera flashes were everywhere blinding me. I held Lindsays in my arms tightly, not wanting to lose her to the crowd.

"Zayn, over here!"

"Lindsay, can you answer some questions about your sudden outburst?"

"Another picture of the happy couple!"

"You guys are going back to your flat, isn't that right Zayn?" 

It took all the sense in my head to not go back and punch that guy straight in the jaw. And then I realized something. This was how Lindsay felt a few days ago and now I was witnessing it. It has never been that bad before. They were only saying those things now because of the fact that we were dating.

The car ride was silent. I didn't know what to say. There wasn't really anything to say. I wanted to think of a funny joke but none came to mind. It's been a while since I heard her real laugh' saw her real smile. That's what the world really wanted from us. The truth.

'Not until next year,' I thought. That's when the lies would be over. But I didn't want the lies to be over. I wanted them to continue. I never wanted them to end.

I didn't know what I was feeling right now. Whether I liked her or not. She was nice, caring, sweet, funny, all of those bubbly characteristics and it suited her perfectly.

I shut the car off and walked over to open her door. But I guess she wasn't patient enough for she was already out. I groaned and walked towards the house, unlocking it carefully. If we woke up any of the boys, it would be a nut house and I really wanted some sleep. 

I started walking towards my room, hearing Lindsay on my trail. I heard a few snores from some rooms and it took a lot for me to keep my laughter in me.

I quickly grabbed a change of clothes and a pillow, about to head down stairs to the couch when I little whimper called me. I thought it was the wind or something, but then it called me again.

Lindsay had a shirt and a pair of boxers in her hand, but looked over at me,"Sleep with me tonight? I don't want anymore nightmares." I gripped my clothes and nodded. Changing in the closet, I waited for her to tell me she was done changing. When I heard the sheets move, it was my time to come out.

I carefully slipped in the bed next to her, aware that I should probably give her some space. I didn't want the Ferris Wheel scene to start all over again. That wouldn't be good.

"Hold me. I feel safe in your arms." She took me as surprised as she pressed her back to my chest. Wrapping my arms around her petite waist, I buried my head in her hair, falling asleep to the sound of her breathing.