Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Dair

“I don’t trust him.”  Faye said dryly.

“You don’t even know him.  He’s not the type of guy you think he is.”  I said softly.

“And you know him so well, yet you apparently only met him about a week ago at the café, where he happened to show up late at night just before you closed, ALSO the same night that you were late coming home?!”  She looked at me, suspicious.

“I told you nothing happened.  He left before I closed, he was not the reason I was late.”  I replied.

If I had told her Harry saved me that might have made her soften up a bit but that would also make her even more worried about me walking home alone from work.  Harry was already on my case for it, I didn’t need Faye nagging me about it too.

“If he’s such a good guy, why didn’t you tell me about him before?!”  She scolded.

I shrugged as I looked away from her.  “It just never came up, it’s not like we’re dating or anything.  He was just a guy I met and we’re friends now.  That’s all.”

“Friends?”  She let out a breathy laugh.  “You’re just friends?  So there’s absolutely nothing going on between you two at all?”

I swallowed hard.  If I took too long to answer she’d know and if I told her there was nothing going on then she would most likely know I was lying.  Truth is, I didn’t really know what Harry and I were right now but I knew it was at least a bit more than “just friends”.   I had never really given it much thought until now.  I knew I felt an attraction to Harry, but I had no idea if he felt the same.  He was just the flirty type, that didn’t mean he liked me.

I looked up at Faye, realizing that I was taking a while to answer and her expression seemed to grow even angrier.

“Why are you worried so much anyway?  You’ve never acted like this with other guys I’ve dated or shown interest in.”  I frowned.

She sighed and walked closer to me and sat beside me on the bed.

“Dair, you deserve a man who’s going to treat you right and love you and pamper you like the treasure you are.”  She smiled faintly as she brushed a bit of my hair back.  “And I know you, you fall hard and you try not to show any weakness or vulnerability and each guy in the past that has had you, gets you wrapped around their finger so easily and then they just cut you loose and leave you lying broken on the ground.”

I frowned as I felt the sting of slight tears forming in my eyes.

“I know I don’t know this guy but he just gives off a bad vibe to me, something just seems…off about him.”  She added.

“He won’t hurt me.”  I said confidently.

Faye flattened her lips in a tight line.  “Just be careful, Dair.”

She patted my leg and gave me a small smile before standing up.  “Let’s get some sleep, we have to be up early for work tomorrow.”

“Right.  Goodnight.”  I said gently.

“Goodnight, Dair.”  Faye said back as she left me alone, closing my bedroom door on her way out.

~ The Next Day ~

A loud crack of thunder sounded as I made my way over to one of the customers, placing his bagel in front of him.  He thanked me kindly and I smiled at him as I turned to head back to the counter.