Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Dair

My shift at the café today was 11am to 7pm, a long day, and it just seemed to slowly drag on.  I still had four hours left until I could return to my possibly permanent home, Harry’s apartment.  The events leading up to Faye kicking me out of our apartment yesterday haven’t left my mind since it happened.

A few times during breaks I had went to the back room and pulled out my cellphone opening up a blank text addressed to Faye but I never ended up sending anything.  What could I say?  I’m sorry?  I knew very well that a simple “I’m sorry” wasn’t going to fix things.

I did feel guilty but I also felt that Faye was being a little unreasonable.  I get that she didn’t trust Harry especially after he left but if she would’ve let me explain, not that I could explain much, I couldn’t tell her he was a vampire and that he left because he was afraid to hurt me more than he would by leaving.

I was startled by the sudden ringing of my cellphone as I stood in the back room clutching it in my hands, attempting to send Faye a decent apology.

I looked down to see Harry’s name come up on the screen.  My lips curved up into a small smile as I swiped my finger across the screen and put the phone to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Dair?  Why are you answering your phone?  Shouldn’t you be working?”

I rolled my eyes.  “I’m on a short break right now.  Why are you calling if you didn’t expect me to answer?”

“I was going to leave you a message.”

“Well, I’m here.  What did you want to tell me?”  I asked sweetly.

“I wanted to give you something to look forward to when you come here after work.  I have a small surprise planned for you.  Nothing big, just something to hopefully help relieve some of that stress that you’ve been withholding since yesterday.”

“Hmm…I’m excited now.”  I bit my lip.

I heard him softly chuckle.  “Good.  That was the plan.  How is your day at work so far, lover?”

I could instantly feel the heat filling my cheeks at the mention of the name Harry enjoyed calling me since our night of passion.

“Um…”

“Dair?”  He chuckled again, he could probably tell that I was slightly flustered.

“It’s…alright…slow but…normal I guess.”

“Okay, well I’ll let you get back to work.  I’ll see you in a few hours when I come pick you up.  Hang in there, baby, just think of the small surprise I have waiting for you.”

I smiled.  “Don’t worry I will be anticipating that more than you know.”

“See you soon, Dair.  I love you.”  Harry said in a cheery tone.

“Wait, Harry!”

“Yes, love?”

“Just so you know, that love bite you gave me that is currently covered with a fair-sized square bandage, is drawing a lot more attention to me than I’m used to.”

Harry laughed.  “Well you could uncover it if you want.  I wouldn’t mind people seeing that you’re mine especially if it repels people of the opposite gender.”

“Harry!”

He laughed again.  “I’m sorry!  I told you, I get playful in the mornings.  I got a little carried away and I wasn’t thinking you had to go into work the next day.”