Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Dair

I stayed sitting up in the bed for a few minutes, the dream had left me uneasy.  Not that I thought Harry would ever do that to me, I knew he wouldn’t.  But I was a little shaken up.

I slowly wiggled out from under Harry’s arm and swung my feet over to slide off the bed.  I turned to make sure Harry was still sleeping and picked up my cellphone and jacket from the bedside table.  As I made my way to the door I contemplated what I was doing.  Was I leaving?  Is that what I wanted to do?  Maybe I could just go and sit in Harry’s kitchen for a bit and then come back.

I shook my head.  No…I wanted to go home, I was scared.

I twisted the doorknob to open the door.

“Dair?”

I froze.

“Where are you going?”

I heard Harry get up from the bed, coming towards me.  I stayed with my back to him, my hand still on the doorknob.

“I was just going to the bathroom.”  I said, keeping my head down.

He chuckled.  “With your cellphone and your jacket?”

I swallowed hard, trying to come up with a better excuse and with Harry, I had to be convincing enough so he wouldn’t know I was lying, or sense it.

“Are you alright?”  His lips brushed against my ear, hot breath washing down my neck.

He put his hands on my shoulders, rubbing them soothingly as his lips moved down my neck and to my shoulder, leaving gentle kisses along my skin.

I closed the door and let my hand fall away from the knob.  “I’m fine.”

“Then where were you going?”  He pressed.

I bit my lip.  “Faye called me, she needed to talk to me about something.  I was just going to the bathroom to call her back.  I didn’t want to talk to her in here in case I woke you up.”

Harry pulled away from me, still standing behind me; his height loomed over me as if he was analyzing my answer.

“That explains why you have your cellphone with you but why do have your jacket?”

I frowned, squeezing my eyes closed.

“Were you leaving?  Do you want to leave?”

“No.”  I said, quickly whipping around to face him.  “No, I don’t want to leave.”

His eyes searched mine.  “But you were going to?”

“I…I had a nightmare…about my parents…it scared me a little.  I was thinking about going for a walk…to clear my head and then I was going to come back.”

He pulled me into him, wrapping his arms around me protectively and kissed the top of my head.

“I’m sorry, baby.  I’ll cuddle you tighter and hopefully you won’t have any more nightmares, how does that sound?”  He smiled, leaning down to kiss my cheek.

I smiled faintly, averting my gaze from his.  I could tell that he was starting to get a little worried with how distant I was being all of a sudden.

I dropped my jacket and my phone by the door and moved closer to him, enclosing the space between us.  I raised my hand to trace little circles on his bare chest with my index finger.

A deep breath vibrated through his chest as he leaned his head down over me.

“I was starting to think I was the reason you were leaving.”  He let out a soft chuckle.