Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Dair

“Dair, would you mind going over to that store a couple blocks away and getting me a few things we need to stock up on?”  Enrique asked.

I nodded.  “Sure, of course.”

He handed me a list of things we needed, I took it from him and turned to head out the door.

It was a nice, sunny day outside so I figured I’d just walk over to the store in my uniform.  I took my time, wanting to enjoy the sun as much as I could, I knew it wouldn’t take me long to get there anyway.

“Lovely day isn’t it?”

I spun around, startled by the familiar voice.  There the man stood; black hair with tiny bits of grey, stalky figure, dark eyes, and that unnerving smile that shot goosebumps up my spine. 

It was the vampire hunter.

“A-Are you stalking me?”  I shrieked.

He merely chuckled as he took a few steps towards me.

I took a few steps back in response.

“Considering my job, I have a right to keep an eye on you if I feel that you know more than you are letting on.”  He shot me a tight-lipped smile.

I narrowed my eyes at him.  “And what is your job?”

His smile grew.  “I don’t think I need to tell you…you already know, don’t you?”

I swallowed hard as I tried to keep my calm composure.  “No, I-I don’t.  I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

“We’ll see how true that is when I bring you to a place where I can interrogate you and torture you until I get an answer.”  He said flatly.

“You don’t have a right to do that!”  I spat.

“I do whatever I want.”  He grinned, suddenly lunging at me but I ducked causing him to fall forward and I took the opportunity to sprint off behind him.

My heart was racing with panic as I ran, pumping my fists to help me run faster.  I was going to head back to the café and make up some excuse to Enrique but when I stopped briefly to see how close the vampire hunter was, he was almost right behind me, prompting me to change my direction.

A partly wrecked and abandoned warehouse was the first thing I saw when I turned the corner and I immediately ran to it.  Rushing inside and slamming the door behind me as I knelt down by the window so I could peek out from the corner of it.

I let out a breath of relief when I noticed the vampire hunter walk by the warehouse seemingly unaware that I was hiding in here.  I leaned my head back against the wood and closed my eyes; to be safe, I figured I should stay here a little longer before heading back to the café or trying to go to the store again.

There was a sudden loud bang on the door and I screamed.

The banging continued and before the door was opened, I ran up the stairs into one of the rooms.  I needed a place to hide but where?  The last time I tried hiding in a closet and that didn’t work out well, it’s probably one of the first places they look!  I couldn’t hide under the bed either…

I jumped at the sound of the door being kicked open, anxious footsteps quickly making their way up the stairs.

I decided to hide in the corner by the door; if it opened hopefully it would shield me enough so that the vampire hunter wouldn’t find me.  I wasn’t too confident in that though.