Chapter 2

My eyes widened as I saw the new message filling my entirely empty inbox. You may think I'm making a big deal out of this but I literally never talk to anyone on here.

I hesitated before opening his message. Was he a serial killer? Was he gonna be one of those nasty, perverted internet freaks? Is this a joke? Was he gonna track me down?

I ran all of the endless possibilities through my mind, seriously debating talking him. I mean, I'm pretty awkward so it probably wouldn't last long anyways.

Flashbacks to my mom telling me not to talk to anyone online flash through my mind as I panic and just open the message.

I have done the deed.

I inwardly smack myself for being so lame as I read the message.

"Hey" it read.

Wow, how original. How should I reply? Hi? Or hey? Which one is it anyways?

I decided to reply with a simple "hey" and quickly exited the chat so I could play it off cool and take awhile before reading his reply, if he even replies.

Much to my surprise, as little as about three seconds later, he had replied to my message.

"Not even gonna try with the whole 'what's up thing'. I'd rather start a real conversation. I probably sound stalkerish but idk you seem cool and you were voting for twenty one beans so you must be great."

I took a moment to take in his lengthy message, forgetting to reply for a second.

Before I could type out an answer, he sent another message.

"Sorry that was so awkward, I'm ruining things aren't I? My name is Michael, how about you?"

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Maybe for once I met someone who was as awkward as I am. I thought it was kind of charming though, and made him way less intimidating.

"Haha don't worry about it, I'm just as awkward trust me. And my name is Evie"

I'm just praying he starts up some kind of conversation because I sure as hell know I won't be able to think of anything.

"Cool, is Evie short for anything?"

I groaned. Everyone always asks this question. I hate my full name, I think it's embarrassing. Evie is short for Evangeline, but almost no one knows that. I don't think anyone other than my mom and Ashton have called me that. And maybe my best friend Brooklyn a few times, but other than that, not really.

Now that I think of it, I've never even told Dan about my full name. I should probably get around to that at some point.

"Everyone always asks that, but my full name is really embarrassing. So I can't tell you, yet :)"

"Oh, when will I have the honor of knowing, Evie?"

Oh gosh I did not like where this was going. But I'm probably overthinking things. Maybe I should just roll with it, he probably means no harm. Maybe I could finally have an internet friend for once?

"Well, only the people closest to me know, but even then they still don't have the honor of calling me by my full name,"

I smirked, pleased by my attempt of sassiness.

"Well maybe I'll have to stick around long enough to find out ;)"