Chapter 30

I turned my head, sending a glare to a vulnerable looking Luke, his eyes were puffy, bruises forming. His nose was slightly crooked, blood still streaming out. He looked like a mess, he was a mess. But then, he uttered just a few words that confirmed my suspicions.

"Evie, I love you,"

I stood there a moment, mouth agape, staring into Luke's puffy eyes, which were filled with hope and adoration.

My hand still rested precariously on the cool door knob, and I was unsure whether I should go after Michael, or stay and talk to Luke.

The two options were clouding my brain, as I tried to process what was currently happening.

I should have seen this coming, Luke had been acting pretty suspicious for awhile now, but I guess I never really thought he could actually have feelings for me. Not when we've been friends for so long, and especially not when he's so close to Ashton.

This must be what he's been keeping from me for the past few months, I was an idiot to not have figured it out by now. He did make it pretty obvious now that I think about it....

I continued to stand there, not sure how much time had passed since he uttered those few dreaded words.

I know what the right thing to do was, and that was to stay and talk to Luke. He had just made a confession to me, and I owed it to him to hear him out. It would be cruel to leave him hanging like that.

But I don't always do the right thing.

I quickly tore my gaze away from his, unable to continue this awkward exchange. I quickly turned the door knob, flinging the door opening and running as fast as I could to avoid confrontation from him.

I really am a terrible human being.

"Evie!" I heard him yell, his voice sounding strained and angry.

Fúck, please don't chase after me.

I ran faster, stumbling down the stairs. Once I reached the bottom, I checked behind me to see if Luke was following. The coast seemed to be clear, and I let out a breath of relief.

Now that I avoided that predicament, the main problem possessing my mind was Michael. Where could he have gone?

I thought I heard a door slam when he ran off a few minutes ago, so I assume he left. Hopefully he didn't go far.

I walked down the hall to the door, and swung it open, feeling the cool breeze waft over my skin. I stepped outside into the dark, and let the crisp air calm my senses.

To my relief, I saw the shadow of a familiar spikey haired boy sat at the end of the driveway. My breath hitched in my throat as I began to feel a little apprehensive about the whole situation.

What if he didn't want to see me? I mean he did just shove me away, maybe he doesn't care for me the way I thought he did. But no, he was just out of his element, he probably feels horrible right now. But what if he just wants to be alone?

I shook my head, deciding to just go for it. I promised myself I would always be there for him, and now is definitely not the time to break that promise.