Chapter 17

Michael's POV

Just a heads up that this chapter is gonna be kinda intense lol

I lay on my bed, trying my best to drown out the screaming and yelling echoing throughout my small house.

From the sounds of things, someone owed my parents money, and they weren't happy about it.

I just hope they don't do anything too cruel, money isn't worth more an an innocent life.

But my parents had never been the ones to feel mercy, especially when they were drunk.

And judging by the tones of theirs voices, I could tell they were certainly drunk.

I sighed, wishing I could have normal parents. Parents that cared about me, and didn't control my entire life.

The yelling suddenly began to intensify, so I turned my music up a few notches to try and drown out the horrible sounds coming from outside my door.

I wish I was brave enough to go out there and stop them. To stop them from harming whoever it was that's out there. But sadly, I'm much too scared of my parents, and I would hate to face their wrath later. My selfishness made me feel even worse, and before I knew it, anger was taking over my body.

I stood up and punched my wall, causing an intense stinging sensation to shoot up my arm. Soon, my entire hand was numb, and I continued to punch the same spot over and over, releasing my inner struggles through violence and physical pain.

Once my knuckles were ripped up, and profusely bleeding, I slid down my wall and curled up into a fetal position on the floor.

I allowed my feelings to go numb, slipping into the state of nothingness that I had always welcomed so happily.

As I was beginning to drift into a trance, I heard a loud gunshot, causing me to jolt, and sit up quickly.

My chest heaving, and breathing quickening, I crawled over to my door. Taking a deep breath, I cracked my door open ever so softly. I peered out, to see that my parent's backs were to me. There was a man and a young woman sat on the couch, crying hysterically. The girl's leg was bleeding, as she had most likely just been shot by my monster out father.

My heart lurched, and I wished with all that I had that they make it out okay. Although, I knew how my parents were. They had no compassion, and all they cared about was money. Meaning that their chances for escaping unharmed were slim.

My eyes darted to the front door of my house, my one escape route. The one spot that had always seemed to be guarded. I rarely saw it left stranded like it was right now, and I yearned to face my fears and escape.

But I've tried several times before, and it never ended well at all.

I was deep in thought, contemplating if I should run or not. I didn't have much time, and I had to make my decision quickly.

"Please, please, we'll have the money to you, just give us one more week," the man pleaded, sobbing. He was now on his knees, begging for a chance.

I will pray for that man, but right now I have to worry about myself.

Just as my parents began to start screaming again, I decided to act on impulse, and make a run for it.

I soundlessly bolted out of my room, and ran down the hallway outside of my room and towards the large oak door.

Just as I thought I was safe, my world came crashing down upon my shoulders.

My father turned on his heel, facing me with raging, bloodshot eyes.