IX - Trouble in Paradise?

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

  🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸   

  ••| Chapter 7 |••   

Sid got ready for his office as usual. Zaira pecked a good bye kiss on his cheek and got busy in her daily routine work. It was 5 in the evening. Sid had not returned home yet. She got a bit worried because it was normally the off time from his work. She called him again and again but there was not a single answer or even a text from him. She paced back and forth in the living room, looking at the mahogany colored pendulum clock and the main door again and again. But there was no sign of him. The night fell and now she was scared to the core. She was alone in the house except for some servants. Her cellphone buzzed with the ring tone. It was Sid's ring tone.

"Hello, Sid? Where are you? I am so worried for you? I am so scared. Nobody is at home and I am all alone. Please come back, where are you?" She spoke as the tears that she had controlled until now made their way out after hearing his voice. It was one of the those situations when you're trying your level best to control yourself and not pour out your emotions but as soon as someone asked you if you were okay, your all efforts went down the drain.

"Zaira! Please Don't cry." He sighed, tiredly from the other end.

"Sid?" She asked concerned. "Sid, tell me where are you? You're scaring me-"

"Zaira" He whispered like it was something so sacred to him.

"Zaira, listen. I want to tell you something." He spoke tiredly. 

"Yes, Sid! I am listening. Tell me. And please come home soon." She pleaded him as some fresh tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I love you Zaira!" He spoke and her breath hitched in her throat. Her eyes went wide and the phone in her hand dropped. She stood there numb, unable to figure out anything. Everything seemed like a dream, a nightmare at the same time.

He loves me?

She thought as she cried harder holding onto herself. Where are you Sid?

Suddenly her cell phone beeped again. She glanced at the screen at it displayed an unknown number.

''YOUR HUSBAND IS WITH US. IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN. THEN FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS.'' The person at the other end spoke in a heavy voice as she picked up the call.

''NO!! Ahh! ZAIRA DON'T DO ANYTHING..Ahhh...HE TELLS YOU.'' Sid kept yelling from the back. She could hear punches being thrown at him and he was probably resisting them.

Sid:

I was struck. I couldn't even remember anything about this and how I ended up here. I tried to move but couldn't. I was tied up to a chair with the ropes all around me. I kept looking at the ground thinking about home and everything. I saw a similar pair of sandals. The ones that Zaira used to wear. They were definitely Zaira's. I quickly looked up and my eyes couldn't believe what I saw. It was Zaira, standing in front of me. I closed and opened my eyes several times to check if it was a dream but no! She was still there with tears in her beautiful, shining eyes.

"Zaira!" I whispered to her.

"Sid!" She whispered back placing her palm on my cheek.  I leaned into her touch and savored every bit of it. She cupped my face in her hands and caressed it with her soft, gentle fingers. She kissed my cheek and smiled at me through her tears.

And suddenly everything crashed. I woke up. It was only a dream. How would she be here?

Zaira was at home probably crying. I tried to untangle myself and succeeded in getting rid of the sorry excuse of ropes.