XXXI - Why does every bad thing happen to good people?

"There are two ways of spreading light, to be the candle or to be the mirror that reflects it."
                    -Edith Wharton.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

••| Chapter 29 |••

She was crying bitterly. Her brain wasn't able to process the words that the voice at the other end spoke.

''Bhabhi [Sister in law] please say something at least.'' Aryan pleaded.

''Sidd..'' she cried even more louder.
''A--Ac--Accident'' She managed to stutter in between her hysterical sobs.
''Sid!!'' She yelled while crying hard.
''No,He can't leave me like this. Sid!'' She continued, making Aryan and Sanaya's eyes go wide in shock as Zaira dropped to her knees, burying her face in her hands.

''Who was on phone?'' Aryan asked finally gathering all the courage to ask her.

''Aryan, Can't you see her condition? She's not in a state to answer your questions.'' Sanaya shot back at him angrily while rubbing Zaira's back and soothing  her which made her cry even more.

Aryan took the phone which she was still holding in her hands and dialled the number again from the ''recent calls'' folder.

After making 2 to 3 attempts, the person answered.

''Can I talk to Mrs. Sidharth?'' The person asked.

''I am sorry, She is not in the state to talk right now but you can talk to me. I am her brother.'' Aryan answered.

''Sir, I am really sorry to inform you but her husband has met with a brutal car accident and his condition is very critical.'' The voice replied and the next thing he said made Aryan feel like the whole world's burden landed directly on his shoulders.

At one side was his best friend and cousin, who was more like a brother, in fact he was more than just a brother to him, was battling with his life. On the other side, he had the responsibility of taking care of his wife.

All the memories that he had spent with Sid came flashing back in his eyes as hundreds of tears escaped his eyes.

The way they used to play when they were younger, the way Aryan used to lighten the mood everytime Sid was enraged. Their College times, the bunks, the punishments, the little cafeteria parties during those bunks, those treats when one of them failed, their group name which was called 3 idiots during college days, the way Sid used to rescue him everytime he landed himself in trouble, the way he demanded something in return for his favours, those days when they used to hang out at nights, that day when they were completely drunk and were partying only two of them sitting on his car's bonnet and diving into the divine chocolate cake which he more like worshipped, the day when Sid told him about his first encounter with Zaira and those sensations inside his body, the way he teased him about falling in love, the way they celebrated their last bachelor days, and lastly the day when the whole family played cricket together.

All those beautiful and unprecedented memories made his heart flinch in real pain. His eyes were red as those bad thoughts kept nagging his mind.

''What did he say?'' Sanaya asked him.

''Come with me!'' He told her and dragged her outside the room and told him what that person had told him.

''How are we gonna tell her?'' Sanaya asked completely breaking down.

''She won't be able to tolerate this! Look at her condition only by hearing about the accident.''

''I know. I don't know how I'll be able to do it.'' Aryan said breaking down once again. His eyes were all bulgy and swollen.

This was the first time Aryan cried. Nobody had ever seen him cry before. Sanaya's heart flinched in pain as the memories of her few weeks stay here kept flashing before her eyes.

''Aryan, you need to be strong right now. I know it's really a hard time for you. But you have to be strong. She needs someone for support. And you are the only one that can be her support. Please control yourself. It's a hard and challenging time for all of us.'' Sanaya replied rubbing his back.

''Sanaya, he is not just my cousin, he is literally my best buddy, I haven't ever spent a whole day without seeing him. He understands me more than my own parents. And he has done a lot for me in all these years. I cannot even pay him back for everything he did for me.'' He replied in between his sobs.

''Look!'' Sanaya said lifting his chin up by her hand.

''He has done a lot for you. Now it's time for you to do something for him by taking care of his wife in his absence and you can do it! Believe me!''

''His absence? He ain't going anywhere.'' He said aggressively and went inside the bedroom to see Zaira drained out of energy. Her eyes were swollen and red. The eye bags were clearly visible. As soon as she saw them entering the room, she ran towards Aryan and shook him by his arms and asked ''What did he say?'' Aryan was silent.

''Tell me what did he say? Please, For God's sake Aryan, tell me what did he say?'' She literally begged him in between her sobs. Aryan kept looking at the ground.

''ARYANNN! TELL ME WHAT DID HE SAY? PLEASE TELL ME ARYAN WHAT DID HE SAY?'' She shouted loudly.

''Sid---has----met with a brutal accident and his situation is very critical.'' He finally replied with a great difficulty, trying hard not to break down in front of her.

Zaira looked at him as if trying to figure out if he was joking or something like that but his face had seriousness etched all over.

''No, No, No, No, You are lying. No, You are totally lying. He himself told me before going out that he has some important work and he'll come back in an hour or so. He'll be on his way. Wait I will call him and ask him what is keeping him so busy. You are kidding.'' She said trying to portray a fake laugh but soon it was replaced with a break down as she dropped down on her knees once again. She felt as if her whole world had fallen apart, as if it was ending. She was too numb to think about anything.

''He's coming back. He told me. He's coming back.'' She kept on mumbling that, with her heart crushing into millions of tiny pieces with every passing second and suddenly everything blacked out.

''Bhabhi [Sister in law], please control yourself.'' Aryan pleaded.

''Sanaya! Hold her, we need to carry her to the bedroom, she's unconscious.''

They helped her to reach her room.

''I don't wanna be in this room. Take me to him. Why don't you guys listen to me. I am not gonna sleep.'' She shouted at the top of her lungs.

Aryan signalled Sanaya to calm her down as he called to the hospital to know about his whereabouts. He hung up the phone.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸