Letters

Kiana

"Is Ron still mad at you," I asked.

Harry nodded.

"Is Jake still mad at you," Harry asked.

I nodded.

"It's ridiculous how they don't believe us," Harry groaned.

"Would you," I sighed.

Harry slumped back into the seat besides me. Harry's stomach began to rumble.

"Shall we head down to the Great Hall," I asked.

Harry hesitantly nodded. Together we stood up and exited the common room and made our way to the Great Hall. Hermione and Josh both walked towards us, stacks of toast in their hands.

"Hello," they said, holding up a stack of toast, which they were carrying in a napkin. "We brought you two this. . . . Want to go for a walk?"

"Good idea," Harry and I said gratefully.

We went downstairs, crossed the entrance hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water. It was a chilly morning, and we kept moving, munching our toast, as Harry and I told Hermione and Josh exactly what had happened after we had left the Gryffindor table the night before. To our immense relief, they accepted our story without question.

"Well, of course I knew you two hadn't entered yourselves," Hermione said when we finished telling them about the scene in the chamber off the Hall.

"The looks on your faces when Dumbledore read out your names. But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry, Kiana . . . I don't think any student could have done it . . . they'd never be able to fool the goblet, or get over Dumbledore's -"

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry interrupted.

Hermione and Josh hesitated.

"Erm . . . yes . . . he was at breakfast," she said.

"Jake and Cedric as well, Christian too,"I asked.

The two nodded.

"Do they still think we entered ourselves?" I spat.

"Well . . . no, I don't think so . . . not really," said Hermione awkwardly.

"What's that supposed to mean, 'not really'?" Harry asked.

"Oh Harry, Kiana, isn't it obvious?" Hermione said despairingly. "They're jealous!"

"Jealous?" Harry said incredulously.

"Jealous of what? They want to make a prat of themselves in front of the whole school, do they? Sorry Josh," I snapped.

"It's cool, they're being idiots." Josh chuckled.

"Look," said Hermione patiently, "it's always you two who gets all the attention, you know it is. I know it's not your faults," she added quickly, seeing Harry and I open our mouth furiously. "I know you don't ask for it . . . but - well - you know, Ron's got all those brothers to compete against at home, and you're his best friend, and you're really famous - he's always shunted to one side whenever people see you, and he puts up with it, and he never mentions it, but I suppose this is just one time too many. . . . Along with Cedric and Christian, they've been always overseen with the success you've had Kay.. Jake just hates the idea of you being hurt.."