The Horrors of Flag Football

So in my PE class:
-it's 7th & 8th grade mixed together. so um, ugh.
-I'm not athletic. The only sports I'm good at are swimming and tennis.
-I go to an IB World school, so we do...different...things in PE. Not that classic dodgeball but we learn about safety and weight management and that. Like last year, we did a whole unit on yoga. Yoga.

But anyways, this unit we're doing...

FLAG FOOTBALL!!

ugh, in case you don't know what that is, here's some pictures.

^ this is a flag football belt. It's hard to put on. It either squeezes your stomach really tight or always falls off, there is no in between.

Flag football is exactly like football, but without helmets and shoulder pads and basically any protective gear. Instead of tackling someone, you pull off their flag instead.

And the coaches were so nice, that they didn't let us pick our own teams!

No, they chose for us. They tried to combine us 7th graders with the 8th graders in teams.

And they tried to put us with people that we don't usually talk to or interact with!!

WOW!!! THANKS!!!

Here's my team:
1. Me, not athletic in the football region, really not in most regions, excels in classes and is intelligent. Loves books, shipping people, and anime.
2. 8th grade guy who happens to be on the football team.
3. 8th grade girl who is popular and is more of a basketball type, and a wannabe YouTuber.
4. Popular 7th grade guy, plays baseball and football, is good at dodgeball and basketball and running and football.
5. Popular-ish 7th grade guy, is super intelligent is on the track team.
6. Popular-ish/arrogant 7th grade guy, excels in just about every class. Plays soccer.
7. Popular 7th grade guy. Super short yet arrogant and powerful. Plays football. Is dating one of my friends.
8. Popular 7th grade girl. Plays soccer. Pretty annoying and likes to take charge.
9. Popular 7th grade girl, she's the head principal's daughter.

That's my team.

let me remind you that #4-9 are friends. Aren't we supposed to be with people that we DON'T interact with?!!!

so anyways, during our games today I just ran back and forth on the field while the athletic kids did all the work and made our team win. I did pull someone's flag though at one point. #Improvisation!

But, on our SECOND game, the other team had 7 players. Since we had 9 we had to sub some out. The coach said, "Alright teams, go choose two people to sub out for the first half!"

My team looked at me dead in the eye and said "Ashley, you're out."

You would expect me to be mad but no, I wasn't. I was grateful to be out for the first half. #PrayersAnswered!

But apparently, before I knew it the first half was OVER and they started the second half and I DIDN'T KNOW because nobody warned me or anything and it's not like I was watching the game or paying attention to it...

So the first play of the second half started and I WAS STILL CLUELESS TO WHAT WAS GOING ON AND I THOUGHT THAT I WAS STILL OUT until #5 and #8 on my team list yelled

"ASHLEY, YOU'RE IN!!" right when the first play of the second half was still going on.

So in my head I was like, "okay, they could've told me maybe BEFORE the play started? It's not like I can just jump into the middle of a play and be like HEYYY WASSUP!! NOW I'M PLAYING, SURPRISE!"

So I yelled, "Guys, I'll get in after the play is over!"

...and they continued to yell, "Ashley, YOU'RE IN!"

sigh