Chapter 56. I Swear

Tuesday | 1:00 AM

Joy's POV

"-Hey," I heard a gruff voice up ahead, "Wake up already."

I opened one eye and cringed as I tried to move my neck. I found that I was sleeping with my head tilted to the side, causing a severe strain on the muscles on my neck. As slow as possible, I move around and groaned. It wasn't just my neck, but my whole body feels tense.

"What happened?" I mumbled in a daze as I straightened my back, finally adjusting inside the now stuffy car.

The more I process the situation, the more I realize that something feels off.

I wasn't in the same spot I was when I fell asleep. I turned to my side and it dawned on me that I was actually sleeping on Byron's shoulder this whole time. Judging by the look he's giving me, he does not approve. At all.

I immediately scooted away until I was sticking right at the car door, away from him, "Sorry." I meant to sound alarmed, but since I just woke up, I didn't have that much energy, "How did I even get there?" I asked, mostly to myself. I mean, there's quite a space between us.

Byron looked away and didn't move an inch, he was staring out the window, like before-though I could see his reflection and he looked annoyed, not that it's weird anymore.

"We're almost there." Droney let out a breath, his usually bothersome personality gone.

I eyed him from the rearview mirror. His eyes were glazed and he looks really tired. I almost felt bad. I could've driven the car, but I don't really want to risk it because I haven't driven anything in a long time. We did stop by a few gas stations and had a few snacks, but he didn't really had a chance to sleep. Come to think of it, the trip took longer than we had expected.

I glanced around and noticed the tall buildings and crowds of people walking along the sidewalks-Why are there so many people? I just realized how dark it is already. I don't even know what time it is, but it's definitely late . . . Somehow, it reminds me of home, though this place looks better than my hometown. I kind of missed the busy life. Back in town, it was always too quiet-unless I was being stalked, now that's a different story.

I glanced at my wristwatch, "What time does the seminar start again?" I asked. It's currently 1:00 a.m.

"Five in the evening." Droney answered.

I felt that it was a little strange when I didn't hear any sarcastic remarks, "We have . . ." I calculated, "We have so much time." I failed.

"Yeah, I was the one who told Bruce to let us leave early for the trip because I know I'd be so tired." He explained, "We'll stay over at a motel, I just want to sleep. There's no way I'll attend the seminar like this anyway."

"You're attending the seminar? I thought you don't want to be a representative." I mumbled, looking outside the window.

"I figured I might as well do it since I'm here." He replied, "We're close to the place."

"What?" I said, confused. "You already found one?"

"I looked it up on my phone when you two were sleeping." Droney said in a flat tone, "There's a decent one around here."

"Are you sure it's okay? I mean, this place is different from our town." I hesitated. Some motels in big cities like this can be strange.