Chapter 72. Grudge

Tim's POV

"It's fine, you open the door." I told Brian, pulling the heavy wooden chest from him.

He didn't let go, "You're weaker than me, you open the door." He gestured towards the back door to my house.

I abruptly let go of the other end of the chest, giving the whole weight to Brian, who struggled, letting the chest fall to the ground with a thump as the dirt and mud broke its fall, "Wow, I can really see that you are stronger." I deadpanned.

"It's 'cause you didn't warn me." Brian retorted, picking up the chest as he tried to hide the fact that he was having a hard time doing so.

I stared at him, purposely wasting time, "Can you really do it?"

"Fuck you!" He tried to shout, but it came out as a wheeze, "Just open the goddamned door." Yeah, still wheezing. The chest is already heavy for two people, I wonder how much it weights.

I did what he 'nicely' asked and opened the 'goddamned' door. His knees were starting to betray him as he walked sideways in a crab-like manner. I can't help but laugh out loud. As soon as he was inside, he dropped the chest as careful as he could to not make a sound. It's already late at night.

He glared at me while balancing his breathing, his hands on his knees, "See?" He took a deep breath after speaking, "I told you so."

"Yeah, you really proved that you're stronger." I clapped my hands as I spoke in a singsong tone, "Now, go carry it to the living room."

"No." Brian raised both his arms above his head and turned, "I'm out." He walked towards the couch and just plopped on it.

I bent down and put a hold on the chest. Gathering my strength, I lifted it up with both hands. Okay, I guess it is kind of heavy. I made it seem like it was a piece of cake as I carried it all the way into the living room and placed it on the floor, near the couch.

I made sure that my breathing was fine before I spoke, "You're right, it isn't that heavy."

"Bullshit." He pointed at my face, "Your face was red the entire time you carried it. Stop bluffing."

"Anyway, research." I changed the subject. I looked over Toby, but nothing seemed to change. He was still lying straight in the same position as we left him, tied up in the same way.

"Do we research now or do we wait for Byron?" Brian mumbled, "I think we should wait for him." He sat down properly.

"Why? I think it's better if we start now. No need to waste time." I said as I fished the key out of my pocket.

"I think we should call Byron." Brian suddenly looked serious, staring at the ground.

". . . Why?" I asked, confused.

"I don't know . . . I just think we should, right now."

"About the journals?" I pried.

"No, not necessarily, just–look, I don't know, okay?" Brian glanced at me, "Something doesn't feel right and I think we should call him." He seemed agitated as he picked up his phone.