Chapter 53. "I'm Fine"

[Announcement at the end of the chap]

I was surrounded by darkness. I couldn't see a thing, not even myself.

". . . You mustn't get involved."

I heard a voiceWas it a voice? I couldn't tell by the sound of it, but whatever it is, I understand it. Besides that, I keep hearing someoneno, there's a lot. I vaguely hear screams from a distance. It sounded like they were far from me and I couldn't tell where exactly the sounds come from.

Why can't I remember anything? I know who I am . . . I know my name . . . but that was it. I have no recollection of how I got here or why I am here in the first place.

I can walk. I began to head forward, trying to locate where the voice came from. My feelings suddenly dropped and I was overcome with immediate dread and wariness. What's weird is that I don't even know if I'm supposed to feel this way or not. I became afraid without having a reason why. What is this place?

"Are you afraid?" I heard a chuckle behind me.

I spun around, but it was just . . . darkness, everywhere, "Who's there?" I said as I backed away from the spot where I stood.

"Hmm . . . You have a strange aura . . . flickering on and off." The garbled noise was behind once more, causing me to step away, my heart rate increasing, "Like a dying flame . . . What are you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I was glad that the noise remained where it was. I couldn't see anything at all, "Who are you? What do you want from me?" I laid out the questions in my head. What is happening?

"I need you to stay away."

". . . From what?" Unease surged throughout my body as I wait for the next word.

"The tall man." The ominous voice said.

"Who?" I mustered the courage to ask.

"Whatever you are, you're . . . an adversity; a complication . . ." The voice continued, growing closer, "I can't even hurt you." It whispered, "Do not get involved."

"Involved with what . . ?" The tenseness I felt began to fade away and the screams from the distance disappeared as well. I was still cautious, but I felt safe all of a sudden, "Don't get involved with what?" I grew restless and repeated.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jerk in surprise. I found myself staring into Byron's eyes, who looked alarmed. My gaze fell on his hand, which is still tightly gripping my shoulder, "What the hell?" I found myself asking as I rubbed my eyes, yawning.

I realized I had fallen asleep, plopping half of my body on his bed while sitting on the ground beside it. My neck ached as I glanced around, seeing that nothing has changed after my nap.

"What were you dreaming about?" Byron quickly asked with a strained voice, still keeping his eyes on me. He looks a little startled.

"Hmm . . ." I gave it some thought, "I don't remember." I shook my head, "Why? Did I do something weird?"

Slowly, he let go of my shoulder and looked down, "No . . . It's nothing."

I raised a brow at his strange behavior before standing up, I leaned a little closer and placed a hand on his forehead without warning, causing him to look at me with wide eyes and move away, "Calm the fuck down, I'm checking your temperature." I frowned, feeling slightly cranky after waking up.