Chapter 54. The Trip

Monday

"Where are you?" I diminished the annoyance in my voice as I gripped my phone on the side of my head.

"I'm literally in the school." I heard Droney's voice with repeated intakes of breath.

"We're supposed to be-"

The door slammed open and made a loud thud as it hit the wall, causing me to jerk upwards in surprise and lose my grip on my phone. "I'm here!" Droney exclaimed with his phone on his ear as soon as he got inside the office. He looked like a mess. I immediately noticed the relatively sized travel bag he had. Compared to his, my bag is a lot bigger.

I picked up my phone from the ground beside my chair, "What took you so long?"

"I was busy sleeping." He said in a quick tone as he walked up to our joint desks and placed his bag on it.

"Well, we have to go to the office." I shook my head. I wasn't really expecting a good excuse in the first place.

"Yeah, yeah." He nonchalantly dismissed as his breathing calmed down, "Let's go."

I stood and hurriedly followed behind him to Mr. Myers office. He'll probably debrief us about the seminar. It didn't take a minute with our speed-walking to get there. Droney didn't even bother and just barged in without knocking.

Mr. Myers looked up from his work, "Oh, are you both prepared?"

"Yeah, I think." Droney answered with a shrug.

"The car?" Mr. Myers inquired.

"All good." Droney confidently said with a grin.

Right . . . Mr. Myers was supposed to get a professional or something to drive us to the location of the seminar, just like every year. But, apparently, he couldn't get a hold of anyone. Since Droney owned a car, they made a decision that he will be driving the two of us instead.

I can't really complain. There's no other option anyway, but I didn't expect that he has a car since I never saw him use it to go to work. I guess it's just like Rachel. They prefer to walk to work because it's close to where they live. Least to say, I won't be having a fun trip.

"The papers?" Mr. Myers reminded.

"Checked." Droney nodded.

"Me too." I joined in, "I also brought the invitations."

Mr. Myers gave us a satisfied smile, "Well, then-" He was interrupted by a couple of knocks on the door. His brows creased as he wondered who it could be, "Come in." He cleared his throat.

The knocking brought Droney's and my attention to the door. We glanced behind us and watched as the door slowly opened.

It's Byron.

He peeked inside the room with a dull look on his face before entering. He's wearing casual clothing for some reason too. What the fuck is going on? Why is he here?

As soon as our gaze met, I couldn't help myself, "What are you doing here?" I disregarded the fact that I'm with the principal.

Byron seemed confused after I asked and walked up to Mr. Myers' desk, "I'm sorry for being late." He muttered, ignoring me.